Tight bass sub recommendations

What are the recommendations for a high quality subwoofer set- up. I have Maggie’s 1.7I speakers which I love but I think could use a little sub energy. Most of what I have tested seems a little boomy. I know there are 2 schools of thought 1 sub or 2 subs. I’m just looking for a deep Tight bass. Thoughts???
schmitty1
Tight bass can be created by a bass player damping every note, and utilizing over-damped drums. Listen to this sort of thing outside with no acoustic boundaries and there ya go!
I've been playing bass since 6th grade. True- it gets a lot more percussive played that way. But impact is one thing- tight bass is another. If the bass is right, its got impact **and** definition. If its tight bass, its got punch but the impact is insufficient and no definition- you keep trying to turn it up to get it to satisfy. Now I might be harder to satisfy because I've played bass so long; in my band right now I play keyboards and keys are more capable of making unnatural bass notes, but even there, the sound is usually a combination of what the player hears in tandem with whatever speaker he uses to play the keys with. But if I'm playing in a club, even when playing such bass, its anything but 'tight'. The speakers are interacting with the room...
I have extensively demo'ed the JL Audio D108 sealed sub and it is extremely tight and musical.  The 8" driver is fast and agile with no bloat or boom.  Covers the upper sub-bass quite well, better than larger diameter subwoofers.  Depending on room size (1) would be fine, (2) better.  
You sacrifice some of the deepest frequency theatrics but gain some upper bass punch and integration- sounds exactly like your goals.  
Wait- so you're saying bigger room more subs? How big until you need 2? Three? Four???
Another vote for JL Audio. Owner of two E110’s here. I honestly can’t see how anyone couldn’t like these subs.
I would recommend that you take a listen to the newest iteration of the MartinLogan Dynamo subs.  I am using a pair of the Dynamo 1100X's with my Magneplanar 3.7i's and they integrate very well.  They have the advantage of Anthem Room Correction built in.  As well, all of the settings can be changed from the listening position with an app that will run on an iOS or Android device.  In my system the Dynamos replaced a pair of REL T-9's.

LarryRS