Time coherence - how important and what speakers?

I have been reading alot about time coherence in speakers. I believe that the Vandersteens and Josephs are time coherent.

My questions are: Do think this is an important issue?
What speakers are time coherent?

Thanks.

Richard Bischoff
rbischoff
Lack of phase shift is one criteria I know helps a lot- for clarity, texture/timbre, subtle dynamic contrasts and sharp imaging. But none of those comes through unless three things are present:

- the drivers have suspensions designed for high compliance at micro-amounts of stroke.
- the crossover parts, primarily capacitors, can pass very faint signals (most caps cannot).
- a very quiet cabinet on the inside.

We can rule out (as first-order causes) the linearity of the magnetic fields around the voice coils- there is no voice-coil stroke occurring.
We can rule out voice-coil venting and high-temperature voice-coil construction- as there's no stroke to create any air pressure to be vented, and little power input to have thermal changes in the voice coil.
We can rule out "extreme" cabinet rigidity, because of the low levels of energy input.
We can rule out cone rigidity, for the same reason.
We can rule out the way the enclosure is tuned (ported/sealed/T-line) as those become non-linear with INCREASES in SPL, if they are going to mis-behave.

Of course, I'm sure you know a lot of gear isn't that great at soft levels (especially interconnects- which is why I recommend the Audio Magic Sorcerer cables before any component upgrade). In fact, I know of some amplifiers which have a decidedly "off-on" type of sound that actually gives speakers with poor low-level response more "jump". Of course, an amplifier which does have excellent low-level response is termed "laid back" when auditioned/reviewed with those speakers- too suave and graceful and subtle for those speakers.

To the others- thank you for your kind compliments.
Best,
Roy
Dolphin...bass at low volumes is another key area...most people increase the volume for this reason alone...so full range (40 hz) frequency coverage would be one of my criterias for listening at lower volumes...or adding a sub...cheers
Now, as opposed to then, I'd have to guess that the execution of a speaker's chosen methodology and quality of materials is significantly more important than simply the methodology. There are some important questions about speakers (phase shift perhaps), but I don't think time and/or phase coherent to be among the make or break methodologies.

For example, the Vandersteen Model 5 and 5A are phase and time coherrent and come very highly rated by some and retail for about $15k. Some have even claimed the Model 5's to be among the very best speakers available at any price. (Although, I've always been bothered with the fact that the Model 5's have their own built-in bass amps. As if to say nobody can build a better amp than Vandersteen).

On the other hand, there's the Von Schweikert VR4 Gen III SE's that (I believe) are neither time nor phase coherent and employ 4th order crossovers. Some here may puke at the thought of these ingredients and methodology. Yet, there's at least 2 reviewers and some to many happy owners who claim the VR4 Gen III SE's to be the very best speaker available at the $20k and under price range. And they retail for only $6k.

And remember that the Vandersteen Model 5a's retail for $15k and therefore fall into the $20k and under category.

No matter how you look at it, that's quite a statement for a $6k speaker.

I've listened to neither and that is not the point as I'm all for have the best speakers possible within one's given budget. But personally, I think people put way too much stock into speaker design, etc. when in fact, it's the amplifiers where the more serious deficiencies lie.

It all comes down to priorities. And you can only have 1 top priority. And all other priorities will suffer for the number one priority.

Therefore, I'll take the best amplifier/mediocre full-range speakers combo over a mediocre amplifier/best full-range speaker combo any day of the week.

And, without a doubt in my mind, this chosen path would reign superior sonics every single time.

-IMO (of course)
Roy, will you please tell us what the impedance ranges, sensitivity, amplitude response and power recomendations are for each of your speakers?