Tube Preamps?

For a few years, I have been "bottom feeding" with a NAD 1135 preamp. Even though it's old, it has served me well. Now, however, I am thinking seriously about going into the used tube preamp market.

I am looking for a tube preamplifier that would sound good with my current gear, which consists of: B&K 140 amp, Vandersteen 2C speakers, a Music Hall TT, a Denon CD player, and ~10,000 LPs. I have been considering an ARC SP-9, a big old Macintosh, etc.

Ideas?
licoricepizza2
If you want the classic/warm tube sound, a Conrad Johnson PV-5 or and ARC SP3 would be great. Both ARC and CJ will still support/update these products with their top-flite service.

A friend of mine used a VTL 2.5 with 2C's (he recently moved on to the 3A sigs but kept the VTL in the system).

I would also recommend looking into Quicksilver's line of products. You can usually find their linestages for well under $1000, and I've seen several of their full function preamps go for right around $1000. You could also consider a modified Dynaco PAS-3 from tubes4hifi (VTA).
I am wavering on how much to spend. My ultimate goal is to be able to play my LPs, and to port them all over to my PC as lossless digital files.

I now have a NAD 1155 preamp, and wonder how much of a difference it would make by saving up for a really good preamp.

Should I spend $100 or $1000? I'm unsure.

Lee
I read all the reviews in Abso!ute Sound, and Stereophile. The models did seem to vary quite a bit. The SP-9 seems to have attained "classic" status, however. As did the LP-12, Quad 63s, etc.

Lee