Unplugging power cords from amps/ pre amps

This might be a stupid question but when there is a thunderstorm lightning storm I used to unplug my power cords from the outlet but now I can’t do that because of a lot of things in the way to reach my plugs from the outlets. I want to know if it is ok to unplug my amps / pre / cdp from the female end that goes to my equipment and then replugging them back after.  Of course the units are off when unplugging / plugging them back. Ty. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

Now that my amps are plugged directly into the wall, I unplug them when the weather gets noisy. Lately, I’ve started unplugging the power conditioner as well. 
It can’t hurt.

Has using a power conditioner improved your sound ? i.e. dirty power artifacts etc. Are you using audiophile AC cables to your components?  I am in a 110 apartment building built-in 2010. We have fiber optical Internet, but I don’t stream just yet, happy just playing records for now

@groovey Unfortunately I made the mistake of changing several things at once when adding the power conditioner so I can’t say what the effect of it alone was on my system.  At some point I’ll do a comparison with and without it but just haven’t gotten around to it.

Definitely take the plunge into streaming ASAP — my only regret about streaming is that I didn’t start sooner.  While the convenience is certainly nice, discovering worlds of new music I would’ve mostly never have heard otherwise (and much of it in hi res BTW) has been one of the biggest thrills I’ve ever had as an audiophile and has reinvigorated my love and enthusiasm for the hobby.  Listening to good music you know and love is great, but the ability to easily find tons of great new music is next-level rewarding and fun IME to the point that I rarely spin a disc anymore.  Just my $0.02 and something I wish someone said to me when I was on the fence about streaming years ago.

My system is on a dedicated 20 amp circuit that runs from the breaker panel through an isolation transformer and then up to the wall outlet where it feeds through a line conditioner/voltage regulator before going to each component. If a spike gets through all that, my home owners insurance will pick up the tab. 

Preventive measures a worth a pound of cure. If your plugs are not accessible, then take time out to make them  accessible. Consider this, that some components have circuits active even if their power button is in off position.