Upgrading crossover?

Has anyone done an upgrade to factory speaker crossover with better quality components and got good results?
I had opportunity to look at the crossover while upgrading friend’s PMC FB1 to + version, and I noticed that components were not of a high quality, inductors with ferrite core, electrolytic caps, resistors of 5%.
What are your thoughts of replacing these elements with better quality ones of the same value, inductors with air core (for example Alpha core Ribbon inductors), Solen caps, etc?
sashav
Greetings, I now this is a little off your thread, but you also may want to consider upgrading your speakers internal wiring.

I recently rewired my Klipsch LaScalas', whose original wiring was still like new. I used DH Labs hookup wire. Total cost was about $70.00.

The improvement was considerable, I would have never believed that just upgrading wire could make such a difference. Happy Listening
Post removed 
I have upgraded the caps, resistors and air core inductors on all three pairs of my Klipsch speakers and can tell you for a fact that I HEARD a tremendous difference in sound. I replaced the stock caps with Kimber Kaps, stock resistors with Mills non-inductive resistors, and stock air core inductors with Madisound.

I lived with all these speakers stock for about 5 years, so I was very familiar with the sound. What I heard after I upgraded the crossovers was nothing short of amazing. Trust me, I wasn't TRYING to hear something either to justify the less than $100 in parts cost.

Bottom line: better parts do make a difference.
Going external active crossover is not something I would be willing to do, considering all other components that will have to be removed/replaced, my main objective was to improve crossover elements, and it seems to be good idea based on feedback.

Thanks.
For Peter (PBN)

I have your SPXs. Is there anything you would recommend to do to the xover that would be an improvement? How about changing to better parts quality? I have no idea what you used, haven't been inside for a peek a boo.

Oz