Used amps, how to tell if,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm interested in buying a used amp and I an only afford  $2,000.00

I'm looking for an amp with at least 100 watts and decent or good or high current. Magnapans 7.1

I've seen some interesting amps circa 1980's 1990's but,

I was wondering how to tell if it's not sounding "right" to me  due to old caps.

1) what would be my recourse?

2) How would or could I tell?

ie if the caps are old how would it affect the sound?

thnax. 

128x128joes44

OMG! I actually maid a mistake! Damn! It is 1.7's I guess I had them backwards?

ANALOGUE;

Lyre DelosDynavector Mk II  (Needs replacing), Grado Statement, MCX (for old scrachy lp's I buy at second hand store). Grado signature tonearm, SOTA star sapphire  (cocobolo, lovely to look at I need to get out more often, )  PS audio phono converter,  AR sp-9 mkiii,

DIGITAL;

OPPO UDP-205,

Mark Levinson ml-2 

LISTENING PREFERENCES;

progressive rock / pop / punk / electronic / jazz fusion / classical. 

ROOM SIZE; 15FT wide by 10ft long by 8ft high. never as loud as i'd like!

I think we all assumed 1.7 , but just want to make sure you realize current model is 1.7i ...i also assumed we all assumed caps are capacitors, don't think it could be anything else in this context...

The OP listed the model as a 7.1. That could have been a 7.1 HOME THEATER system with several different models of Maggies OR the .7 model OR the 1.7 OR 1.7i model, so it wasn't really all that cut and dried.

@joes44

I've read some good things about the Khartago.

If Alon Wolf of Magico likes and uses Odyssey Audio amps, that’s saying a lot of it’s performance aka excellent price/performance.  As others mentioned, recapping is out of your budget.