Using CD player without Preamp?

Hi, I have been using my old modified Phillips CD player direct into my amp for many years. It seems to sound good to me. The Phillips has a variable output so I can use its remote to adjust the volume. Am I missing something? Thanks for your feedback.
tduffy1
Post removed 
IMHO, it depends on the volume control in the Philips. If the VC is analog, a direct connection may be great. If the VC is digital (and, therefore, loses data when attenuated), the direct connection is a bad idea. I suspect the latter is the reality.
If you think you are missing something do you mean in sound or technology? There are many very good points above but I think you should try another player to see if there may be benefits in sound quality over the Phillips units. I liken the Oppo 980H or higher. You may find more air or spaciousness along with depth, etc. Then again you may not. On the technology side you will know. The Oppo IMO is as good or better than most units selling for 10 times as much. Plus, you have a volume control too. (Some DAC's will render the volume control un-useable) I prefer mine to run through a DAC and preamp. I use a Scott Nixon tube DAC with great results. I went on a 6 month attempt to find a better cd player but I haven't found anything as of yet. But I'm using a tube preamp (VanAlstine Super PAS3si of Vanalstine's design) and tube DAC as mentioned above. Not only is it very very musical but I have heard some other units in the upper ranges ($$$) and they don't impress me as much.
I say take a test drive and see if you are missing anything and it will only cost you $185.00 shipped.
I agree with Polk as long as the output stage was actually designed to drive a power amp. Despite having a nominal output high enough many CD players will not be as good as a good preamp in driving a power amp. But if they have been designed to do so then adding anything else will degrade the sound to some degree.

Stan -- You made a similar statement in the other recent thread that you referenced, which was questioned by another member. Please explain how the output stage of a cd player would "know" whether it is driving a preamp or a power amp, assuming the input impedances of the preamp and power amp are comparable, and the cable length that would be run to either device is the same. Also, how is one supposed to know if the output stage of the cd player is "designed to drive a power amp"?

I can certainly envision reasons why a specific combination of cd player and power amp might sound either better or worse with or without a preamp in between, some of which were mentioned in the other thread:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1228927169

But pending your answer I would not speak of a cd player as being "designed to drive a power amp."

Regards,
-- Al
Post removed