Vandersteen Treo vs 3A Sig as upgrade

I had my local dealer hook up a pair of Treos to demo them and left with a very mixed impression. I like the overall sound. They have a smoother, more refined and sophisticated midrange that the 3A Sigs can't match. I want that. But the bass was less defined and the top end was bright. The sibilance was very exaggerated - this was with CD. Is this the character of the Treo? Thanks!
wlutke
Interesting M.  Personally, I go with the Quatro all day long.  I"m really big on coherency and I also need matching subs in a system.  That's just me, but many do like the Treo better with the subs.  SUB...jective, right? lol

Take my opinion with a grain of salt. The dealer set the Treo CT's and the one 2Wq sub up meticulously. I gave him a few days notice for the demo. He played some incredible music cuts for me. Guess I got caught up in the moment. Even Richard Vandersteen said this was one of his better dealers and said he had a fine ear for different kinds of music. This was in Wisc. I now live in Arizona. I listened to the Quatro Wood Ct's at a Hifi Shop in San Diego. I listened with similar music and  while it sounded good, it didn't grab me like the Treo Ct. sub combo did. That store in Wisc. had to my ears what seemed to be almost magical. Some of the best sound I ever heard and I've heard some pretty fine systems over my 45 years as an audiophile. I previously mentioned that I own a pair of Treo Ct's, and couldn't be happier. After listening with a Vandy sub, I really like the way the sound opens up the stage and gives you that incredible sense of space and timbre, something you don't quite hear with the Treo's on their own. This is what the sub does for me, not just giving me a handful of hertz at the bottom end and more dynamics, although I still consider these aspects important to the music as well. In regards to the carbon tweeter, it also helps down into the mid-range where the vocal region resides. I have listened to the standard Treo at length, and the resolution of the carbon tweeter, to my ears, is well worth the extra grand. IMHO. Happy listening to all you new Vandersteen owners out there!

@mr_m great post above. I also have Treo CT.  I have two 2wq subwoofers and agree completely with what you said referencing dynamic life and the opening up of the soundstage with the quality deep bass from the subs.  

Interestingly if you read the online magazine "Copper" located at the PS Audio website, their latest issue, #14 has an article about what subwoofers can do for a system.  You are echoing a good bit of what he said.

Enjoy the music!
You guys are killing me.  Subs or Quatros......Quatros or subs......time for a wee gargle o' Islay.

@ hifiman5, I just started the article in "Copper", it is the first in a series of articles re Subs
@ mr.m  I am in Tucson where in AZ are you located?

Thanks for the compliment hifiman. This wasn't the first time I heard the qualities while using a sub. I heard a pair of Wilsons with their Thor's Hammer sub with similar results. Although I thought the Vandersteen combo actually sounded better for a lot less money! I will check out the online magazine "Copper" at the PS Audio website. thanks for the "heads up" on that. Question for Ctsooner. Do you need the Vandersteen filters for the Quatro Wood Ct like you do for the 2Wq subs????