Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Let's say, at most he needs 3 hours. (I am fairly sure I could do it myself in less than 3 hours, and I know good techs are faster, neater, and better than I.) Let's say he charges $80 per hour. (I have no idea what they charge these days.) The capacitors might cost $30-$40, if that much. So you are talking around $300 for peace of mind and probably improved performance. One of those "no-brainers".
You forgot to include the 'extra overcharge' and 'special undercoating' (seinfeld reference).

I was quoted a much higher number by a very reputable tech to do the same on my less complicated sp10 mk2.

But if that's the number, to be sure I would jump at it.
Dear Banquo, You could perform the work yourself. Watch a Youtube on desoldering and resolding. You will get great satisfaction doing it yourself. I fine-tip soldering iron only costs about $20 and desoldering braid about $5.
If you do it yourself, which I endorse also, it is worthwhile to invest in a "solder station". This is essentially a soldering iron with feedback, so it maintains a constant temperature, which you can set on a dial control. They cost more like $50 to $100 but a good one lasts forever and you can use it for other minor repairs in future.

Was the "reputable tech" named Bill Thalmann? If so, Bill would do much more than just R&R the caps, which is probably why his estimate seemed high, if it was Bill (but you already told us that Bill declined the job, so maybe not Bill).
Thanks for your confidence in my abilities, redglobe, but even with a very generous conception of possibility, I'm not sure I can envision a world in which "You could perform the work yourself" is true of me. I tried to make interconnects once and all I managed to do was melt the pins of the connectors. If I were to try again, I would certainly take Lew's advice and get a decent station as my previous disaster was not all user error (I want to believe).

Yes, Lew, it was Bill and it was a quote for my technics and not the victor. It did include other things but since I didn't ask for those other things, I assumed it all came as a package. No matter. He fixed the technics w/o recapping and did so for a reasonable price, so I'm not complaining (quite the opposite in that case).