Vintage Luxman receivers

Bought a perfect condition Luxman R-104 at a garage sale today for 5 bucks! This thing sounds unbelievably good with my Focal 836w. I’ve powered these with Musical Fidelity A1008 and pimped out Jolida tube integrated. This thing sounds more well balanced than both I think. Powerful sounding little s..t. We’re these known to be good or do I just have bad taste?😃

mofojo

I would also note that the newer pieces are a bit more refined and relaxed with more midrange magic than the older pieces. The detail retrieval and control improves with each price point / model upgrade but Luxman likes to focus preliminarily on the magic of the spectrum of midbass-midrange-lower treble.  

“Luxman likes to focus preliminarily on the magic of the spectrum of midbass-midrange-lower treble.  “

That description seems to make sense why they would be a good match for the Focals I’m using. 

In my opinion, the best sounding and the best made Luxman, solid state Amp and Preamp from the past, is the Luxman M-05 Power Amp and C-05 Preamp. I have not listened to any new Luxman gear, so I can not make any comparison on sound quality between old versus new. 😎 See below:

Mike

http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-C-05.html

Yes.  Luxman, with the exception of the Alpine owned years, has always sounded great.  I’ve owned/own 5 pieces over the years.  Currently a 509X which really rocks. They are fun pieces and now command kind of ridiculous prices used.  Enjoy.