VPI Classic 3 vs Basis 2200

Hi,

I currently have a classic 3 with a Dynavector XV1-S, which I'm enjoying but am also open to an upgrade. I was told that the Basis 2200 is a huge step up. Any insights and opinions based on direct experience will be really appreciated.

Cheers
128x128moryoga
Thanks again everyone. Any opinions on the Synchro-Wave Power Supply? I spoke with A.J., seems like a really great guy, and he feels that it's a very big plus.
Moryoga I have heard the synchro-wave makes a huge difference but this comes from a basis dealer and also AJ....I know it is expensive - I have been a little reluctant to add one to my 2200....perhaps I am being cynical but I can't grasp getting that much more for that investment.
I have a synchrowave and it makes a difference, though I would hardly consider it to be a major improvement. Pitch stability is good with Basis tables without a separate power supply so what one hears is not so much related to obviously better pitch stability than one hears a more "solid" (weightly without sounding bloated or sluggish) sound and sharp imaging.

It is the real deal when it comes to power supplies. In order to use it, the motor for the table has to be sent back to Basis for modification. That is because the power supply does not merely use a capacitor to split the power for the dual phases being fed to the motor like some power supplies do.

The really cost effective upgrade with their tables is buying their top grade belt. This might actually make a bigger difference (particularly if the belt on the table is worn).
Hello Moryoga. I have not used the Synchro-Wave so I cannot comment on its merits. But can comment on what A.J. says. From a number of conversations with A.J. over the years I've observed he’s as honest as they come and responds to questions conservatively without flamboyant exaggerations. He does not inflate sonic improvements instead he understates them, such as advising against an upgrade as the benefits would be subtle when in actuality there was a worthwhile 15-20% improvement. When he's been enthusiastically positive, such as you mentioned he was about the Synchro-Wave, I've taken his recommendations and it’s always been like money in the bank.
LOL! I have had several conversations with A.J., and yes, he is a very good guy. I have always enjoyed our chats immensely, and the fact that I can speak directly with the designer of a product. He is very thorough with his advice. That being said, I always felt like he was trying to sell me something every time I spoke with him, and many times I did buy something from him. I do recall him being very enthusiastic about his Synchro-Wave power supply, I also knew a Basis dealer who was very enthusiastic about the Basis power supply, though I never did buy one. I was quite content with my Walker Audio Motor Controller, but since I never owned the Synchro-Wave, I cannot say for sure if it would have been an improvement or not.

I do recall A.J. once spending 45 minutes raving about his new Microthin Revolution belt, and I did buy one for my 2500 Signature. To be perfectly honest, I did not notice the mind blowing improvement that A.J. had me expecting. Perhaps I would have noticed a difference if my expectations were not so high, who knows?

Anyway, I would just suggest starting off with the Basis table and see how you like it compared to your VPI before going further down the Basis path. If you buy the Basis and enjoy the sound, as many here do, then you can start to think about going further in that direction.