Warm, Smooth yet Transparent Amp

Hello All,
I am currently running an Arcam AVR300 for movies and music, 60/40 respectively. The music portion just isn't happening. Everything works but I'm not getting that "involved/pull you in" kind of feeling. I have gone through several pairs of speakers, Proac tablette 50, Triangle Titus 202, Von Schweikert VR1s and currently Vandersteen 1C. Since this is a wide array of speakers, I've come to the conclusion it must be the amplification.

So now I'm thinking of adding a 2 channel amp running out of the front channels "out". I don't like harsh, shrill highs, but rather a fuller, sweet sounding, yet transparent. Is this possible without spending several thousands of dollars? I am trying to keep it under 1200.00 so used but quality is what I'm hoping for. If Possible. I know that all of you knowledgeable people would have an answer.

I'm also running an Oppo 83 blu ray/cd. Dish K722 receiver for TV. Listen to FM, CDs and MP3 through the Oppo. I'm looking for all the things I have read about on these forums over the years. Good Imaging, transparency, involving. I've read good things about Conrad Johnson MF2250 (affordable used) and I just missed out on one on Ebay, earlier today. Now I'm just frustrated I guess.

Please assist if you can. Oh, I like folk rock, rock, certain new age kind of music. Examples, Dave Matthews, Eric Clapton, Sarah McLaughlin, and everything in between, *chuckle*. Any and All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Bruce
denon53
"12-14-13: Pani
Get a Naim Nait 5i. It is warm and lively, has very good drive and timing. It will really get your senses uplifted, especially for the kind of music you listen to."

I had one of those on my 1C's. Not a good match at all. Maybe with another speaker, but not the Vandersteen.
12-14-13: Denon53
John, I'm sorry if I'm seeming a bit dense, are you saying to use the "tape out" on the CJ Classic and use the "tape in" monitor on the Arcam which is also "stereo direct"?

Yes.

12-15-13: Denon53
OK, after inspecting the backside of the CJ Classic tube preamp, it has "pre out" which I should have figured. So I could connect that to the tape in on my Arcam, correct?

No. The key to using the preamp as a HT Bypass is so that when you are using your system in HT mode, you do not even have to turn your preamp on, and your preamp's volume control has no effect on the signal. If you use the extra set of preamp outputs on the CJ Classic, you will need to adjust the volume control to match the levels of the other channels. If you use the tape out, I think you will still have to turn the CJ Classic on, but the volume control will be out of the signal path, so you won't have to level match your channels when going to HT.

If you find a preamp with HT Bypass, I believe that you will not even have to turn the preamp on to use the system in HT mode. This can save hours of use on your tubes that you are not using in HT mode. Depending on how much of your listening is done for HT versus stereo, this may or may not be a big factor. Does this make sense?
John,
Based on your recommendations, using the tape out on the preamp to the tape in on my Arcam will achieve the same affect as a HT bypass. The only time I would turn the preamp on would be to listen to 2 channel sources i.e. FM Tuner, Oppo CD and possibly the DISH reciever for music channels.

All HT sources have digital outputs which will never need the Preamp.

By George I think I've got it! LOL So the CJ Classic is the Ticket!

Once again, thank you one and all. I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Prosperous New Year.

Bruce
Bruce, sorry for the confusion, but I don't think that using the tape outputs of the CJ into the tape inputs of the Arcam will work. After looking at the rear panel of your Arcam AVR300 in the manual, it looks like your Arcam has only one 7.1 analog input, which will then only work with one source (Oppo?). You would need to run the analog outputs (surround, center, and sub) directly into the DVD-A input RCA's. Then run the FR & FL output of the source into a source input in the CJ Classic. Then run the tape output jacks of the Classic into the DVD-A FR & FL RCA input jacks.

Very complex, and it could work....for one 7.1 source. If you have more than one 7.1 source, or that source doesn't have analog (RCA) outputs, then you could have problems with this setup. You still definitely do not want to use the Pre out jacks of the CJ Classic though, as this would put two volume controls in the loop. I hope this doesn't make things more confusing.
John,
What makes you think that using the tape output to tape input work? I mean, it makes sense. I'm currently using the "tape in" on the Arcam for the input of my Sony HD FM tuner. It works great and allows "stereo direct". It sounds pretty good to me. My DVD/CD player is an Oppo bdp83. I use the digital output for 5.1 and a separate two channel output for stereo music. The best of both worlds. :)

Bruce