What does a tonearm contribute to the sound of a turntable?

Curious about how a tonearm affects a turntable sound. I guess it's the piece of the turntable I know the least about and feel the least connection with. how does a really good tonearm affect the sound or not affect the sound? And what about the tonearm does the affecting?
128x128simao
@fsonicsmith Wait - I'm curious. What well-worn, rutted road?
With the new Jelco, I now have not one, not two, but six signal interfaces between the cartridge and the speakers:
  1. cartridge to headshell/arm
  2. headshell/arm to Premiere Interface DIN (little box on the back of the VPI - which I desperately want to get rid of)
  3. Premier Interface DIN to RCA
  4. RCA to phono pre
  5. Phono pre to amp
  6. Amp to speakers
Is this normal?
Well. let me set you at ease first. You need not worry about 5 and 6 because they are higher level signals. 
It is the low level signal that is most subject to being degraded by connections along the way. Ideally, the cartridge would come with integral wiring from cartridge to phono stage input or to go to the even more absurd (and nearly impossible) the cartridge would be hardwired to the circuitry of the phono stage. 
Connections = convenience. A removable headshell is chief among them. 
Is it worth sweating about? Absolutely not. Only at the Mike Fremer level or the Whats Best Forum level do the connections likely make an audible difference. This is just one man's opinion-my own. 
My "problem" is with a reference to testing. The argument that if it can't be measured it does not count is as old as rocks and persuading the camp that adhere to that argument that they are misguided is like trying to move the Rock of Gibraltar. 
And yes, I agree that the VPI junction box is something to "desperately want to get rid of". I hated how it got in the way of trying to use the conventional anti-skate mechanism. Hell, I hated everything about it. 
@fsonicsmith Cool. Thanks for the clarification. Another thing I've often wondered is how good the tiny wires connecting the cartridge to the tonearm are. With all the fuss and expense about IC's and speaker cables, are these overlooked?
@fsonicsmith Cool. Thanks for the clarification. Another thing I've often wondered is how good the tiny wires connecting the cartridge to the tonearm are. With all the fuss and expense about IC's and speaker cables, are these overlooked?
There is really not that much mystery involved with tonearm wire. The same concept applies-basic tonearm wire is fine with basic gear and as you go up the chain, the quality of the tonearm wire makes a subtle difference and improvement. Btw, "tiny" is endemic to tonearm wire due to the very low level signal. All that said, I am a true believer in FireWire AG, a wire that is manufactured in Germany by  Stereo-Lux Musikanlagen. Something has to account for the amazingly transparent sound I am getting with my Reed arms and Reed uses this wire. It is incredibly pliable as opposed to being stiff, with a very soft clear rubber-like insulator. The clips are unusually nicely machined, they just exude quality from end to end. 
The wire is probably fine, but Reed tonearms have a lot more going for them besides good wire.  Otherwise, we could all buy FireWire and use it to re-wire some el cheapo tonearm.  (Another owner of a Reed tonearm with cryo-treated FireWire here.)
lewm7,760 posts04-28-2020 5:00pmThe wire is probably fine, but Reed tonearms have a lot more going for them besides good wire. Otherwise, we could all buy FireWire and use it to re-wire some el cheapo tonearm. (Another owner of a Reed tonearm with cryo-treated FireWire here.)
I could not agree more.