What has your audiophile experience taught you about yourself?

So that is the question, "What has your audiophile experience taught you about yourself?" I would think it interesting to know what others have found in an introspective way. This is what I have found.

1. At first I believed in the hype created by over-enthusiastic new gear owners. Most often I made mistakes in buying gear other people liked rather than listening to audio components and picking the pieces I enjoyed.
2. I found more actual enjoyment in listening to my music and my equipment rather than lust after better equipment, much of which is out of my financial reach.
3. I can learn from others on audio sites like audiogon.com. Some other sites are much more geared toward advertising than exchange of ideas and/or opinions.
4. It is ok to want a Bose Wave radio. I once owned Bose 901 speakers in the 80's.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2x2psyop
I wish for the old days when you could drive a few miles from your home to a brick and mortar building and audition many different components in the flesh. It took 5 pairs of headphones, (all ordered somewhere online and recommended by others) before I found the 6th pair I call my ear-mates.

The HE-6's make me smile each time I put them on my head. I've realized (through the purchase of several warm items-HP's & amp) I don't like anything that leans toward the warm side of neutral UNLESS I can find something else to neutralize it. I have a warm HP amp, but it's a perfect match for the HE-6's.   

There's nothing wrong with searching for "Your sound." But once you find it, be happy and ENJOY it! Don't let other people's negativity change your satisfaction into dissatisfaction.
 mewsickbuff
     I was that guy in late 80s-90s  1-9 shift (our hours lol) .We had a brick building that was hard to find and it was a blast. we sold the ole' Stax headphones .The Discerning Ear .BaltimoreMd. (gone with the times)

#1     I learned after getting so many loaners from reps etc.The price has
          little to do with it's sound or quality  (within reason).
#2      How many times I believed what people told me and was                                
          disapointed
#3      How cool so many guys are ,and how many pompass asses there  
          are.
#4      One mans floor is anothers ceiling
#5      How much music I have been turned onto 
#6      Just when I thought I knew so much, someone knows way more.                  
          so be quiet and listen
#7     Refer to # 3
I learned life is so short.  Two of my top audio buddies have died in the last 6 months.  My close audio buddy died today.  We actually have similar audio systems.  Wow. This has taught me to enjoy my audio within reason. Have balance and remember it's always music first!

It's pretty hard to win an arguement over money with the wife after "you spent $1000 on a NEEDLE!"