What if a high end speaker measures really badly?

You know, it's true that I feel listening is more important than measurements and that it's generally difficult to really tie together measurements with pleasure.  Below 0.05% THD do I care?  No I do not.  I really don't care. The number tells me nothing about whether I'd like the amp more or not anymore.

In this one memorable review for the Alta Audio Adam speaker, I really felt shivers go up my spine when I looked at the measurements, especially at ~$20kUSD.   This looks like an absolute hot mess.  Does it sound this bad though?  I certainly don't have the $20K to test that out myself. What do you all think? 

erik_squires

I honestly do not need to look at the spec's to know if a speaker sounds good.....but if you do and if you that is important to you then knock yourself out......

I have heard the Devore O series speakers. They are just terrible to me. And the latest from Devore, his 44K USD O that is out, at AXPONA, sounded like a tin radio. Down the hall they had the mini O's playing driven by a Naim Unity which sounded 10X better than his tour de force model. 

To each his own.

@erik_squires wrote:  "I'm reading @audiokinesis but avoiding commenting when I just don't know what I'm talking about.  Honestly my experience with very poor measuring speakers is rather limited so I yield the floor. 🤣"

Here is Floyd Toole being much more succinct than me:

"A ripple in the on-axis curve may be acoustical interference (not very audible, or inaudible), but if it replicates in spatially averaged measurements it is almost certainly evidence of a resonance."

What if there is no measurements?  People gravitate towards pricings right away, higher price = greater sound, lower price = poor sound