What kind of listener are you?

I'm an All-Arounder: Equal parts Analytical, Thrill, and Feeling. Push comes to shove feeling matters most, but they are all very close to equally important to me. 

This is a very useful breakdown of a very complex subject, listening. How we listen to and evaluate components and systems. 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ndZrj7DSmk00WIORrcS_siKnUK_kj3SrFFamrWJxGh8/edit#heading=h.2x4z0...

What kind of listener are you?
128x128millercarbon
I found that I had to first be an analytic listener; this enabled me to understand the mysterious terms my friends were tossing around.  Such an approach lead to my being able to both discern and appreciate soundstage width, height and depth, along with image placement.  Ever since receiving my first AM transistor radio, I have wanted to hear “everything” within a song.  I just knew that there was more to “Riders on the Storm”, “Cecilia”, and so many other great songs than what my little radio passed on.  My ongoing quest is the attainment of a system that is both revealing and musically involving.  I believe that I am there (at least until the next IC, fuse, or whatever comes along to take me further on this wonderful journey).
mc wrote " Back in those days I was very methodical in using my favored test CDs with tracks selected to help me run down my audiophile checklist, all of which was analytical. It was only when I caught myself lost in the music totally forgetting about the checklist that it dawned on me, this is what its all about."

I have the sneaking suspicion that all these pieces of the puzzle are actually there and occur at different intervals different times and use different areas of the brain.  Wondering if anyone has done a fMRI to see how mood as well as the type of music playing light up different areas.

A new piece of equipment makes me totally analytical, which I don't find as pleasurable.  After tweaking/break-in I fall back to "normal" position of being musical and typically remain there until the next tweak.

Interestingly, but not surprising, my wife can tell my mood simply by the music flowing out of the music room. 
Wife to me " Let me get this straight. You spend $2000 on speaker cables (actually it was 5k but don't tell her) because you can "hear the difference" but you can't hear me calling you from the kitchen"?
rsf507....MSA....Male Selective Attention....;)

I've noticed that the females of the species have a tendency to continue talking, even when one's left the room and is generally 'out of earshot'.

Then you get groused at, as you've noted.

The reversed condition gets 'blown off' as well.

If you point this out, you get a 'different earfull', generally negative.

Blame it on DNA...it doesn't help much, but everything finds a scapegoat eventually.....;)