What LP shows what analog can do?

I'm relatively new to analog. I've bought up some $1 records, and many sound surprisingly good (though I don't have a cleaner, so some are cracklier than I'd like).

I'd like to buy a couple of new LPs (probably from MusicDirect) that are at the very top sound quality. Of course, music quality counts too. So really I'm looking for suggestions for the record you put on to impress your friends (to show them the difference from CD), or to sit back and truly enjoy just how good analog can sound. I sort of have classical in the back of my mind, but I'm open to whatever.

Thanks.
matt8268
Try Acoustic Sounds for new vinyl: http://store.acousticsounds.com/

I've had really mixed luck with used classical, sometimes they look as if they are in good shape but have pretty bad noise, even after using a VPI record cleaner.

thanks for all the suggestions above.
The Mercury Firebird is one spectacular sounding record! I've been listening to this album for almost 20 years, and have yet to encounter one that can better it in performance and sound. The best version is the 45 RPM Classic Reissue, followed by the 33 RPM and the Golden Import Dutch Pressing. Salvatore aptly described it as "EXPLOSIVE"! LIsten to this record and experience analog at it's finest!

Enjoy,
rcprince,
Acoustic Sounds has the Chesky/Petroushka on 180g vinyl, unless the one I got last month was the last copy .

It's almost as good as the Firebird we've been discussing.
I have a couple of copies I squirreled away a few years back. Strings a little steely sounding (compared with the Firebird or some of the Decca reissues), but otherwise a terrific record. Some of those Readers Digest recordings were far better than the records they pressed--same goes for some of the Voxes, such as the Ravel and Gershwin boxed sets. The original vinyl I've found is easily surpassed by the Analog Productions and Reference Recordings reissues. Lets you see how good Wilkinson and the Aubort/Nicrenz team really were.
Have you guys heard the Reference Recordings' Gershwin Mastercut Reissues? A specific cut, "Variations on I Got Rhythm" got me boogying and twirling an invisible baton like a crazy mofo! It's not as explosive as the Firebird, but the overall sound is so natural and utterly convincing. Check it out. These records are still available from Acoustic Sounds or Elusive Disks.