What's good used 5.1pre/pro for $1500 or less

Hi there,

This is my first posting here. Currently,my simple system is following,

Acurus ACT-3
Carver TFM-25
Mega Sony CD changer
Maggie 1.6
Cardas twinlink

My plan is to upgrade both my pre/pro and amp.

I am going to get an used classe amp but not sure wich pre-pro will provide worthy step up (from Act-3) and synergies going forward. My proiorty is 70/30 between music/HT. Some of the gear I see on the used market are, Encore, Classe25/30, Proceed. Any suggesstion is welcome. Thanks.
ddl24
I like the encore...but if you could stretch for an Ovation.....it has better DACS. But the encore was a VERY solid performer.
Find yourself a Meridian processor and you will never regret the purchase. I have found none to be more musical and the home theatre performance is outstanding.
I personally own a Classe' SSP25THX and although I haven't heard everything out there, I can tell you that this is a worthwhile piece. The quality for movie reproduction is quite good. However, you have pass through for analogue reproduction and if you want, you can use the Classe's internal 24 bit DAC's which are as well extremely good. I have never been disappointed with this piece. I will one day replace it but for the money, don't know what I would even consider.

Good Listening,

Steve Bachman
Phoenix, AZ
Hmm, it would be a tough call. I like the Classe products The Anthem sounds good as well. EAD stuff is always a solid performer.

I dont want get you too far off your initial topic but, since 70% of your listening is music. Do you listen to 2 channel or multi channel? Some Processors are better at one and not the other.

Secondarily, the Sony Changer as a source may not reveal weakness. Just an idea, but upgrading the changer to an inexpensive single play CDP might give surprising results and set you up for more prescient future upgrades.

As far as DACs. The PCM1702 (EAD Encore) and the PCM1732 (EAD Ovation) arent that different. I believe (not 100%) taht the 1732 adds HDCD over the 1702. Anywho, the 1732 is a very common DAC, found in literally dozens of CDPs. I have them in a Rotel and they do sound good. The performance gap in these DACs is close and better yet, you can attain the DACs in a sub $300.00 player.

The bottom line is, the surrounding parts play a bigger role than the DACs themselves.

Since I am on the topic of DACs. I had chance to listen to the fairly new Cirrus (crystal) 43122 DACs in a Bryston Preamp and they were stunning. I know Harry will probably get a smile out of this one, the EAD TM8800pro uses this very DAC. Bryston does return over 40% percent of them because they have a very tight tolerance for performance. So it is cream-of-the-crop DACs, however, I suspect EAD has a similarly tough tolerance regime.