What would you buy Sub $350 Firewire/USB DAC

Hello and thank you for reading my post.

I have a pair of B&W DM 610s with a Music Fidelity B1 amplifier. My old ADC CD player is slowly passing away, and I've been thinking of using my IBM X61 laptop as an audio source.

Here is a short list that I'm considering, and I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Best,

Music Prof.

StyleAudio Carat-HD1V
Styleaudio Peridot USB DAC
Fubar III
DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
DIYEDEN SVDAC04 USB DAC
Blue Circle USB
AudioSector USB NOS DAC
Apogee Mini-DAC w/USB option
Peter Daniel NOS USB DAC
DacMagic Digital to Analogue Converter
Peter Daniel USB DAC
KECES 151 USB DAC
KECES DA-131 USB DAC
Vintage Audio Lab DAC
Squeezebox classic
Musiland MD 10 Bit Select USB DAC
DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
Yulong DAH 1 USB DAC
music_prof
I am truly tempted by the new DacMagic, but the Scott Nixon Dacs also sound very, very appealing....
So, my birthday is fast approaching (February 1st) and I'll have to decide soon. I think that it is going to be one of these two options:

1) Cambridge Audio DacMagic http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=320

2) Scott Nixon USB.UFO.JF http://www.scott-nixon.com/dac.htm

The former is a touch more expensive, but I can use it for more than one purpose. The latter may sound better, but without hearing them side by side, it's hard to say. They represent two very different approaches: Oversampling vs. NOS and multiple interfaces vs. USB only.

So, what to buy then....
With the Cambridge it seems as though you will be paying for an awful lot of marketing and a large number of features you most likely will never use...
@Ckorody--

I have given that a good deal of thought. My HK CD player has a digital out, so if I purchased the Cambridge Audio DAC, it could serve a dual purpose. On the other hand, it seems improbable that the CA DAC could be as good as the Scott Nixon given all of the extra features at roughly the same price point, unless, of course, they can buy and build at a discount because of volume.

The CA DAC has received very good reviews, and I am eagerly awaiting reviews of Nixon's new DACs.

Best,

MP

I've finally decided....

I'm going to go with the Cambridge Audio dacMagic. It has received favourable reviews, and I'll be able to use it with both my PC and with my HK CD player.

Any recommendations for a budget RCA/RCA digital cable?

Best,

MP
Congrats on your choice!

Two budget cables and a step up from budget.

Budget: Apogee Wyde Eye, Canare L-5CFB
Step Up: VH Audio cryo Pulsar

No matter which cable you choose, get a 1.5-meter length of it. This will ensure that signal reflections between the two cable ends interfere as little as possible with the DAC's clock timing.

BTW others may recommend other cables; I'm only recommending things I've personally tried.
Thank you for your input Tobias.

I can purchase the Canare cable for next to nothing ($14.50 US):

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/shopbycable/L5CFB.htm

Given how modest my system is, I think that the dacMagic and and Canare should do what I need it to. My understanding is that any good USB cable should be fine.

My birthday is February 1, and my wonderful wife already has the dacMagic on order to make certain that it arrives on time.

Thanks again,

MP
I posted earlier about the Valab Dac that I had problems with and have to say Kevin from Valab provided excellent customer service in taking care of the situation. Valab has settled in on the parts used for current production and are now using a 1ppm clock. The sound is excellent, shockingly good for a $180.00 Dac with USB, coax and toslink. If you can try one that is broken in you may be very suprised, no piece of equipment is all things to all people but I would put the Valab on the short list for Dacs to try.
Prof,

Congrats, I'm confident that you'll be happily surprised at how good this thing sounds.

Perhaps due to a brief brain cramp, I said I use the DACMagic with a Mac on my piano & that's wrong. It's a PC - the DACMagic is not an approved "MAC compatable" device. Just wanted to be sure I didn't provide bad info.

Marty
I thought about buying the Valab DAC from the Pacific Valve Company as I heard so many good things about it. Ultimately, the rave reviews and the versatility of the dacMagic won me over. Were I to take the NOS route, I definitely would have purchased one of the Scott Nixon DACs.

I won't be able to see my gift before February 1st, but once I get it, I'll be sure to post.

Best,

MP
I just received my Giga Lab Moon NOS USB DAC from Pacific Valve yesterday. A 200% improvemnt over my tiny, $30 Behringer USB/headphone thing.

I was also in the price range of $200 - $500. I chose the Moon becuase:
> wanted US service (Pacific Valve is great, I sent them 3 e-mails w/ questions and they answered all of them within 1 hour).
> I wanted NOS becuase of reports that it had a "tube sound" And it does, slightly.
> no headphone crap.
> no inputs that I didn't need (has USB,coax and optical in)
> looked well-built - and it is.

I decided to go low end on my budget because in the future I intend to upgrade to something in the $2500 area from Wavelenght or Emprical.

Based on their reputation, I was serously considering the Cambridge MagiDac, but it had too much stuff that I don't need.

USB cable:
> cheap: Belkin 2.0 - $14 for 6' @ JR.com (I have one on the way)
> not cheap: Kimber B Bus - $65 for 2m @ needledoctor.com
Cryo Parts - 6' for $70
> unaffordable: Locus Design Axis - 3' for $549 (!)

Hope you enjoy the MagiDac.
My wife couldn't bear to make me wait. I've received my unit in black and am breaking it in now.

Details:

Speakers: B&W DM 610s
Amplifier: Musical Fidelity B1
Sound files: .flac
Software: JRiver Media Player / ASIO4All

Upon opening the box, I had three thoughts:

1) The unit seems reasonably well built. The case and controls feel solid
2) It comes with a wall wart--I wonder if this results in less interference by having the power supply away from the unit or if that was a cost-cutting measure
3) I don't believe that I've ever seen such a cheap USB cable in my life.

So, I connected the unit with a better USB cable, and played the Dead Can Dance Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove. I was floored by the imaging and sound stage. The latter exceeded the dimensions of my listening room. Next, I played the Chemical Brothers Setting Sun. With both of these excerpts, I was very impressed with tight controlled bass.

Before listening to more demanding music, I created a play list of very eclectic music and let the DAC run for about 36 hours. I played a number of excerpts (William Grant Still's Afro-American Symphony, Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time, CPE Bach's Symphonia, & etc.) and was disappointed in the somewhat harsh nature of the highs. The bass continued to be extraordinarily well behaved, and the mids were quite warm.

I let the unit play for another 30 hours or so, and while the highs still seem a touch harsh, they seem to be mellowing somewhat. I am hoping that trend will continue.

I'll keep you posted,
Update:

After an extended burn-in period, I'm very pleased. The sound stage and imaging continues to be wonderful beyond expectations for a product of this price. The control of the bass--both the punchiness and clarity of detail--still amazes me. The mid range has become even more mellow bringing to mind the image of caramel. The high end has tamed considerably and is quite good.

In short, I love how responsive and musical this product is. The only weakness might be that the high end might be smidgen forward for some listeners, but otherwise, I find this to be a very musical and accurate piece of equipment and well worth the money.

MP
I'll bet you can tame that forward high end by running the DAC from an isolation transformer. Even a cheap one.
An iso transformer would plug into your AC supply. Then you plug your DAC's power cord into the tranny. This eliminates much of the pollution on your DAC's AC line.

The transformer accepts 120V and puts out the same voltage. No actual transformation of voltage happens. However inside the tranny there is now a physical separation between the AC circuit in your wall and the AC line which feeds your DAC. Think of it as Customs and Immigration ( OK, Homeland Security if you're that way inclined ). The barrier is not enough to stop trade but it does stop the riffraff -- the grunge and pollution on the AC line. As a side effect, it also reduces most high-voltage spikes to harmless levels ( but nothing will stop direct lightning ).

The results for digital audio are pleasing to the ear, and one of them is cleaner highs. That's why I mentioned the possibility.

Isolation transformers are used in laboratories, hospitals, server farms and sound studios to keep AC line junk from affecting the working of delicate, precise, mission-critical instrumentation; oh, and sound recording gear. They are often replaced, sold off, upgraded and so on but they don't wear out and you can frequently find suitable ones used on eBay. You'd only need a little one for your DAC, say a 125 volt-amp size ( 125 VA or about one ampere ), but bigger wouldn't hurt if that's all you could find.

My brother runs studio gear with his computer and finds he gets cleaner sound with the iMac plugged into an iso tranny.
Thank you very much for the information--it is very helpful.

I am going to do a little research to see what is available in the budget range.

The dacMagic is continuing to mellow over time. I wonder how long a typical burn in takes....
Music_prof, what Tobias says omits a very simple face, at least IMHO, isolation transformers, indeed almost all ac filtering or conditioning devices, do more harm than they than good. There is one clear exception to this, again IMHO, the Synergistic Research PowerCell. It is not cheap, however. I have no recommendations that are cheap, except nothing.
Tbg raises one of the hobby's all-but-innumerable controversies. He is on his 47th system, according to his system page, so clearly he is entitled to his opinion. There are others whose mileage varies; see posts in the archives here by Sean and Lak, among others.

My own experience is that there is no downside whatsoever to running a costly digital source from an isolation transformer of adequate size and quality, and none either to running a cheaper one from a small, cheap iso tranny. Note the word cheap. What is especially appealing about this tweak is its excellent (IMVHO) return on investment.

The power conditioning controversy has extreme positions and moderate ones, like all controversies. The extremist on the positive side uses active devices, sometimes mass-market ones with MOV surge protection, on all his gear, even power amplifiers. The purist finds no conditioner of any real help, especially not on power amplifiers where it tends to limit current supply. The isolation transformer, used on a DAC, falls pretty close to the purist position.
Too bad you did not go Blue Circle Thingee - great sound and very simple to use. I have found CA product is not a warm enough sound for my taste.

Try Frank at Signal Cable - good quality IC's and Power Cords too - for the money, Frank is hard to beat.
Did you allow the unit to have a good burn-in period before making a final judgment? After a couple of weeks, I have to say this unit sounds very good for the money. Admittedly, I have a laid back system (B&W speakers, Musical Fidelity amplifier) so it seems a good match.

Again, I'm very pleased with the imaging, dynamic bass, silky mid range, and satisfied with the reasonably well behaved high end. As for how this compares to the NOS DACs, I can't really say. I listen to a loot of Jazz and Classical in addition to ambient, electronica, rock, non-commercial country/regional music, and the authenticity of the instruments seems very good for the price.

This is not the best quality that I've heard (that would be a wonderful turntable with a fantastic cartridge--I forget what they were exactly) but I think that this unit offers good value for the money.

Music Prof