Which speakers... B&W 802D or Vandersteen 5A's?

I have a rather small room 12 x 25. My listening area is against the long wall about 9 feet away, and between both speakers (triangle). I live in a high rise so my walls are floor yo ceiling glass and sheetrock. i have the Rouge audio 180 monoblocks and the Rouge audio 90 pre amp. I have the paridigm S-8 speakers(6 years old without the brillium tweeter). I am wanting to upgrage the speakers to either the B&W 802 D's or the vandersteen 5A's... any thoughts? Also, with the equipment that i have should i be upgrading something else before upgrading the speakers?
bobmclean
Background:
I have compared the Paradigm S8 and B&W 802D (last model not the diamond, but I have also demoed the diamond) with in a few days of each other. I heard the S8 on a $30 Krell front end and a cheapy Arcam set up. I also demoed the Focal 1037Be on the same/same room as the S8 (Krell). I demoed the 802D on an all Classe' front-end and cheapy Rotel set up.

My opinion:
The short answer is the 802D would be a lateral move in general and it will come down to what you are trying to improve. The 802Ds have a more open and detailed midrange but at the cost of an unnatural tone (IMO) because of some peaky-ness. The bass is very strong on the 802D and was a good bit stronger than the S8 but it does not really have anymore definition than the S8. I would call it a tie, both sound a little boomy to me. Now the 802D has much better highs, but they are bright tonally compared to the S8.

All in all the 802D will be a little more fun (punch/slam, forward vocals, bright highs) but the S8 is probably more accurate while being a little boring dynamically speaking.

Now the 1037Be sounded a lot more like the S8. I has good tonal balance but the mids are MUCH more open than the S8. Highs are about the same but the driver integration was lacking as a whole. I was trying to talk myself into the 1037be at one point because the price was right but I wised up and passed on the deal.
I've yet to hear a B&W sound better than a Vandersteen but that is my taste. Why these two? If I were you I would list all of your preferences and priorities in a speaker and have the this vast vault of vernacular but sometimes venomous victims of audio addiction make a few valued and often times victorious recommendations. Do you have a veneer preference?

You will be much better off than deciding between two, unless you've heard them both but can't make up your mind.
IMHO, Vandersteen 5A's. I'm not a big fan of the B&W's, and really like the Vandersteens. To top if off, the Vandersteens would appear to be a better fit in your room.
Vandersteen 5A. One of the finest designs and executions ever. Time and phase coherent with linearity flat to 20 Hz. Pinpoint imaging, incredible soundstaging. B&W cannot compare but you need to personally verify as this is too important an investment.
Listen to both and choose the speaker that rocks you.

Your ears and your money.

IMO