why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable

I have tried expensive cables and one's moderately priced. I would say there were some differences but I can't actually say the expensive cables were better. IMHO I believe a lot of people buy expensive cables because they don't actual trust their ears and are afraid of making a mistake. They figure the expensive cables are better for the fact they cost more. If you have a difference of opinion or share the same thoughts, I would like to hear about it.
taters
I do not believe people feel the need to buy expensive cable, but if it sounds better and they can afford it, they buy it...not because of ads or salespeople but because they like the way it sounds...
Well, obviously if your hearing isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, you know, if you’re 105 years old or whatever, and/or your system is not (rpt not) revealing enough and/or has at least one or two errors in it and/or you don’t follow proper protocol for cable evaluation, such as using fully broken in cables, the chances are excellent you won’t hear much, if anything. If in fact any cable evaluation was actually performed which it probably wasn’t. Same as it always was, a lot of who shot John.
Not sure what THAT (above) meant...but what is important is that prolific Geoff got another post point on his way to 10,000 posts.  Go Goeff!!
Post removed 

gdhal
"
 and all manufactured wire is directional.
"Untrue, to the extent there is any audible distinction a human can detect with the naked ear."

Do you have any proof of this gdhal or is this your "gut feeling" based on a deeply held intuition or religious belief or is this based on your understanding of what you perceive to be the "science" surrounding the claim of directionality or do you have other concrete verifiable meaningful repeatable studies to share with us or this is simply none other a  solitary passing remark you make just to weigh in on a this topic of legitimate conversation?