Will I benefit from a subwoofer with 20Hz speakers?

My source is a minidsp shd studio with Dirac going into Denafrips Gaia DDC to Denafrips T+ DAC to McIntosh 601 Monoblocks to Cabasse Pacific 3 speakers. The speaker's published frequency response is 41-20,000Hz. I presume this is achieved in an anechoic chamber. In my room however, it goes down to 20Hz, at least according to the Dirac measurements. In fact, I needed to flatten the curve and  reduce by 5-20 DBs between 20-100Hz due to the room effect.

So, considering I already go down to 20Hz, is there anything else 1 or 2 subwoofers will do for my system?  Would it create a more consistent low frequency field? I see many people adding up to 6 subs, so I wonder what I'm missing. 

Thank you for your insight! 

dmilev73

@tablejockey I have heard the smaller Pearl speakers that look the same. A few thousand watts of class-d amps makes sure they are VERY dynamic!

I am not sure they went down to 20 Hz in that room but the bass that I heard was Impressive. Drums were really good. Of course they managed voices and other things well also. Just $30k.

Hi @dmilev73, to echo 1 or 2 posters above,

• No, you definitely do not need subwoofers in your room
  • I would lift the 20-30Hz by a few dB and lose 6dB 90-60kHz, more or less as per @erik_squires wisely suggests above
  • Bass absorption looks like a plan: you have serious modes in the early 30 Hz & a suck-out a little over 100...

I like those speakers!

To get a better picture of what's going on use REW and do a measurement with Dirac on and off.

Speaker manufacturers need to quote frequency range within decibel limits.

If Cabasse quote 41Hz at the bottom end it might be -3dB or -6dB, or worse.  Whatever, at the usual rate of roll-off there will be nothing at 20dB.  If OP is hearing a significant signal then it might be room effect but more likely check his Dirac.

For those interested bottom B on a Steinway Model 6 is 31Hz.  The bottom of a string or electric bass is 41Hz.

Those wishing significant musical output down to 20dB definitely require sub-woofers with these Cabasses.  I wonder what instrument they are listening to.

I usually find if someone is asking if they need subs, they are not satisfied with their current bass...