You can't have too many bass traps...

Hej

I've read that you can't have too many bass traps. Is that really true? 
simna
I recently treated my room with GIK products.  All my panels are called bass traps but they are used for multiple things.  I have 3 first reflection point panels.  Bass traps on the front wall sitting on the floor and diffusion panels on the back wall.  I had previously bought some corner foam traps from Amazon but not sure how effective they are.  I feel this was a very nice improvement in bass and soundstaging.  A question I have had though is that I have a Type A decibel meter but it only seems to pick up mid range accurately.  Do I need a Type A/C? 
In the house we recently sold, my "man cave" was a 24’x26’ room. I got the system with the main speakers "dialed in", sounding awesome. Then when I added my sub woofers I discovered that the room had terrible acoustics in the bass region; regardless of the bass line in the music, the room added one loud bass tone.

I eventually purchased a " miniDSP UMIK-1 USB Measurement Calibrated Microphone" (I found it on Amazon), a mike stand and the REW (Room EQ Wizard) software ( https://www.roomeqwizard.com/ ), which guided me to purchase and position what eventually turned out to be 10 bass traps, to mostly control the errant bass response from the room.

I probably could have used two more traps, but the love of my life began asking if I was headed for my "padded cell" when going for my nightly listening session.
Absolutely incorrect! I would think that you can have too many of any treatment. 
You can't have too many bass traps...[?]

Unequivocally: yes, you can. Too many of them and put the wrong the places they eat away of proper soundstage fill/size and kills overall energy and (natural) liveliness of the sound. It's about strategically placed bass traps, smaller ones at that and used sparingly - as I see it. To much bass trapping may have an alluring sense of bass control, but I'd rather live with the occasional unevenness of response to have a more natural overall presentation. I'd include diffusion predominantly over the Schroeder frequency and, again, light absorption below it to deal with bass modes.