6922 Tube Question

I need to replace a pair of tubes in my VAC Signature.  They are 6DJ8 6922's.  Though I've had tubed pre-amps for years, this is my first tube replacement.  So I have a real newbie question.  Are all 6922's interchangeable?  Can I use any 6922 or must they be 6DJ8 6922's?

ps - ya, I know, bad time to need tubes given the world situation.

Ag insider logo xs@2xyellowstone

6dj8=ecc88=cv5358

6922=e88cc=cv2492=6n23p(Russian)=

6n11(Chinese)=cca=cv2493

7308=e188cc=6n23p-ev=cv4108

All in 6922 & 7308 family are interchangeable and if your circuit permits then and any of the 6dj8 ones.

6np1 (6np1-ev) is a different tube and most likely a modification in circuit is needed.

Ive used JJ and think they sounded good in my gear but it took buying 3 before finding one quiet enough for my preamp.   The other 2 are fine in my amp's driver position.

They are interchangeable but not the same entirely. As oddio points out, the 6922 and 7308 are special 10,000 hour versions of a 6DJ8. My experience is that you will get a shorter life with a 6DJ8, but perhaps not enough to warrant the difference in price. Many say they think the 6922 sounds better than the 6DJ8. I have less experience with the sound of the 7308.

RAM Tubes has excellent computer matched ultra low noise 6922 for reasonable $.

@clio09  should be able to help you.

just a very happy customer…

jim

ECC88/6dj8 and E88CC/6922 have different maximum current specs with the latter being able to withstand higher levels.

Probably best to ask the designer/manufacturer as to what will "last well/longer" in a specific unit, and if this is not possible then perhaps confer with a reputable tube dealer and/or a forum with knowledgable experts (diyaudio?) who may be able to offer advice.

Think there may be a few exceptions (regarding longevity) like early Telefunken CCA's (a 6dj8 as I understand it), but I may be wrong on this.

In addition there is also the E188CC/7308 that is said to be even more durable (in higher current circuits) than the  E88CC/6922, but I'm too lazy to look up the spec's on all the, above mentioned, versions.

In the Audion/Consonance gear I've owned/used I was able to use 6dj8's in place of the specified 6922's without premature failure, but in a friends Audible Illusions preamp I ended up using extremely durable Russian 6n23-EV's and Telefunken 7dj8's (phono section) which lasted for many years (wasted/trashed some old production 6dj8's and 6922's experimenting, but I had gobs on hand @ that time).

Neither of us liked the sound of old production 7308's in the pre, so those were spared the long term test (ended up selling many of them here on A'Gon and on Ebay).

DeKay