AA for us

Is there such a place for us audiophiles: Audiophile's Anonymous? I feel that at this point that I am showing all signs of an addict and I am no longer a functioning addict, unfortunately. 

The only upside is that it is distracting me from other harmful activities such as watching the news x hours a day.

grislybutter

@stuartk 

do you actually know what sort of presentation(s) you prefer? 

not insulting at all. I have a smallish room, I am close to the speakers and I like a relaxed but big sound, on the warm side - nothing fancy.

@dekay my gear is mostly vintage, what other people would store in the garage, boxed up.

@ghdprentice you are right, the issue is my process, not very pragmatic, just impulsive. It wouldn't even call it a process. But if I learn along the way, I should be to make smarter decisions. I am in the negative feedback loop where I feel the more decisions I make the dumber they are that make me unhappier, with my budget spent and reduced, and then I end up with doubts and a lot of lessons learned at my own expense. The opposite of rewarding...

What is your system now? It isn’t in your profile and I don’t see it in this thread. It would be really helpful to see it. I know you know about virtual systems. If you would show some photos and ID your current components I am sure we could help point you in the right direction… or let’s talk off line.

@deep_333 I hope to avoid getting addicted to medication. Man this is a deep hole :)

Some addiction is ok as long as its not abusing your wallet, i.e., if that’s the core source of anxiety.

I have heard every kind of rig at every pricepoint and stuff exceeding a million dollars. But seriously, approx 3000 bucks will get you a good sounding no frills rig these days.

If you want to satisfy the joy of incessant tinkering (addiction) for cheap, get on aliexpress....lots and lots of dirt cheap unheard of kits that sound golden.

Aliexpress has been one rescuer of my marriage for years. The other rescuer would be the other audioloony friends. Ya loan them your things, they loan you theirs, i.e., mutual satisfaction of curiosity/tinker cravings (without wallet abuse). It’s kinda like AA, i suppose.

Nothing wrong with a persistent laser focus on a hobby of interest as long as you can afford it and it does not interfere with other more important aspects of life. Live and learn. It’s either enjoyable or not. If not, then there may be a problem.

Maintaining a focus on value helps a lot Some products offer way more value than others. I tend to seek those out. It need not cost a lot for top notch sound in most people’s rooms. Addressing room acoustics first before spending another dime helps. Invest in DSP and learn how to use it properly. DSP is the great modern “equalizer” when it comes to how things sound in your room. To not do that in this day and age can be a crippling handicap.  

Personally, I have no good reason to pursue more gear at this point other than the fact that I am always interested in the technology and wouldn’t want to miss out on anything new, innovative or just plain different that might add value for me.

Paying less attention to the “news” is a big benefit the value of which should not be discounted.