Almost Time to Replace My DV-20xl

The time to replace my aging DV-20xl is rapidily approaching; what to do next?

How close or how much 'difference' is there between the DV Xv-1s and the DV XX-2? There's a large price difference of course... I am very tempted to go all-in and spring for the XV-1s but it ain't cheap!
stickman451
The JMW-9 is a not a particularly good tonearm.

This is old news; search the archives for similiar threads.

YMMV
Stickman451:

My Dealer has the XV-1 (on his top o' line Basis), Vandersteen 5a sigs (I have the 3a sigs), and I can report it handled many of my "problem" records--which I trotted over--with ease...as it better for $5K.

Chashas1: thanks, I may be interested in a "prettier" TT and more "sophisticated" cart one day and obviously I need all the kindly help I can get. I could easily throw a $10K combo on a CC today; but I just don't feel the need at the moment. I love my Yugo and I implore anyone to at least try one in order to keep Ranger Rover builders (and street pavers) on their toes. Yes, I admit, the triangle decay in Stravinsky's Petrushka is only 12 seconds, as opposed to the 13.5 seconds reproduced by $3K carts... : )

Audiofeil: I've read so much about VPI arm problems; I admit I've been hiding behind the word, "synergy."

Jdaniel,
The arm will track a handful of cartridges with mediocrity but is not capable of optimizing most cartridges. It's a very finicky animal.

I had a couple Scouts here on trade. The table itself is decent but the arm drove me crazy with its' idiosynchratic behavior.

YMMV
"I guess question to you, GW, is, why didn't you just change arms? I had a VPI at one time, but not their arm."

I did, actually. I switched from a Scoutmaster JMW9sig to a Michell Orbe w/ Tecnoarm, though I still run the AT33PTG which is a hell of a cart for the $400 something I paid for it.

I just had the Tecnoarm internally rewired with Cardas cable as the original cable was fraying at the cartridge leads.

Next stop is a SME 309 with a Lyra Delos once I can scrounge up the dough.