Amps that don’t impersonate space heaters.

There have been some epically hot periods in metropolitan Chicago this summer. I have had a long running affair with a pair of Avantgarde Uno s2’s and don’t really require a great deal of power. I have two dissimilar but equally compelling amps (a Pass 30.5 and a BAT vk-56) both prodigeous producers of heat creating a sauna like environment in my library/listening room the HVAC system not withstanding. What, if anything, have you boys and girls found that might replicate the qualities of my beloved amps minus the potential for 3rd degree burns and heat prostration?
Cheers and good fortune to you all. 

williamjohnston

@audphile1

I know the sort of thing you’re referencing regarding bass quality vs quantity, but that’s not what was going on with the No.8 vs the Yamaha. With the Yamaha, the bass sounded as though it dug a whole half octave deeper. I asked Doug at Coda if having the V1 boosted to V2 or V3 level would bridge that gap but he didn’t think it would.

One recurring theme I encountered in researching this phenomenon is that bass roll-off is a common trait among amps employing zero global feedback. I can’t say for sure what the culprit is but I owned about 5 different pair of speakers at the time and the same difference was audible with all of them. With my Magnepans specifically, I was not impressed with the Coda despite its alleged current output. Putting the A21 to the Magnepans following the Coda was a revelation.

I do still like the Coda amp on the whole. It was very quiet at least, much quieter than most amps.

One recurring theme I encountered in researching this phenomenon is that bass roll-off is a common trait among amps employing zero global feedback.

@helomech I've seen zero feedback amps that go full power to 1Hz and don't seem to lack any bass at all. IOW its not a common trait.

@audphile1 

I tried a variety of preamps. The Benchmark LA4, Topping A90D, Mac C49, and the preamp section of the Yamaha integrated. 

Go Class D, Atma, Hypex, Purifi, ADG. I don't think you would be sorry.

The Buckeye 1ET9040BA is barely warm to the touch and has the accuracy, insight and musicality I had hoped for. Very low SNR so not to intrude on your high sensitivity speakers.

Otherwise maybe a First Watt?