Are REL the most Musical Subs?

Forgive me if I have created a redundant thread.  I don’t usually post in the Speakers area.

I have a Paradigm sub in my basement HT that has apparently given up the ghost after about 20 years.  I’m not a huge bass listener.  We used to use the area for movies but lately a different room of the home has taken that over.  I listen to classical music and the system gets used primarily for SACD and Blu Ray.  No desire for multiple subs.  The front speakers are full range, setup is 5.1

I added a REL sub to my 2 channel system a few years ago, an REL, and have been delighted with the results.  It doesn’t boom at me.  What it does do is add the low level percussion effects that composers such as Mahler, Shostakovich , and modernist composers add to reinforce bass lines.  I never realized, for example, how many gentle tympani and gong effects are in Shostakovich Babi Yar symphony.

The REL integrates all of this naturally without calling attention to itself.  The Paradigm in the basement never did this but it was an older design and more budget friendly.

So I am inclined to replace the Paradigm with another REL in the basement but was wondering what the current thinking is with subs.  I haven’t paid much attention lately and the stuff that I have pulled discusses multiple subs, Atmos, etc, and doesn’t seem to address my needs.

Placement will be different as well.  The current sub is placed between the front speakers, and the gear rack is on the other side of the room.  20 years ago I had the energy to bury the cables next to a baseboard heat along the all, after schlepping the sub over the basement testing placement spots,but with advances in DSP I’m now hoping to place the sub next to the rack

mahler123

I thought the OP was interested in a good option that’s available to buy, not a DIY approach thats out of reach to most everyone? It's interesting to read about the possibilities with DIY though, but to imply any other way is lacking enough not to be worth it is wrong IME.

For those who want the OB/Dipole Sub from Rythmik Audio/GR Research but don’t have the tools, experience, and/or interest in building the required OB frame into which the woofers are installed, GR Research has a couple of woodworkers who will make the frame for you. One of them also offers the frame in kit form, pre-cut and ready to assemble, only wood glue and clamps required. And either paint or wood veneer if you want the MDF finished.

@phusis: On the Rythmik Audio website designer Brian Ding provides exhaustive technical information on his subs. I believe details on the servo-feedback compensation for voice coil temperature variation and other functions may be found in the site's Technology section. Mr. Ding is not your average hi-fi designer, having a Ph.D. in electrical engineering.

For 2 channel listening, once I heard RELs (as others have said, make sure to go with a stereo pair) connected directly to the high-level amp output, I was converted. 

To my ear, these are the most “integrated” sounding subs I have ever owned, because they are taking the entire signal from the amp. 

There are plenty of other great subs with great specs (especially for theater applications), if you are chasing lab measurements. FWIW, I used to be a Velodyne fanatic, but have changed to REL when I got intrigued by their approach. 

REL has done something different and amazing with their direct connection to the amp. Once you audition it, you’ll either like the sound or you can save some money with other manufacturers. 

@lono24 There are plenty of other great subs with great specs (especially for theater applications), if you are chasing lab measurements. FWIW, I used to be a Velodyne fanatic, but have changed to REL when I got intrigued by their approach. 

lono24  May I ask witch Velodyne models you're referring to?

How did you determine their position within your room?