Are You a Swifty?

I am. I think she's great.

And You?

128x128jjbeason14

There are tons of great artists that lack technical proficiency, either vocally or instrumentally.

Staying with a nonsarcastic and nonconfrontational tone: does this put you in the camp of those that maintain that Bob Dylan could not/can not sing?

And in the same tone: if someone cannot paint, can his or her paintings really be art?

@roxy54 so true. Her voice, like Beth ortons, is powerful yet divisive. 

@immatthewj  I guess because his Melodies and his lyrics are so engaging. They're good enough I can Overlook his voice.

@botrytis  idk, there are plenty of artists in my Gen X generation who don't speak to me at all. I mean just about everyone I knew in college and an adulthood raved about Smashing Pumpkins and Violent Femmes and Dave Matthews and for me they are completely forgettable artists. Again, not taking away from their Artistry or influence but there's no connection at all.

I nominate Mary Fahl.

I had to do a Google to find out who she is.  I've heard of The October Project but I don't think I am familiar with anything they have done.  Her Reimagining The Dark Side Of The Moon sounds interesting.

But what are you nominating her for?

The main takeaway for me about Taylor Swift is that she learned a very hard lesson early on in the music biz about record deals.  I believe it was FZ who called it the international hum job.

She's really taken the lesson to heart, too.  To the point that she's doing a Sinatra re-recording her own stuff to a label she controls.  I think FS and FZ are very happy somewhere as they watch her laugh all the way to the bank.

I am, too.  Too many artists of all stripes get badly ripped off because they aren't contract lawyers.  If even one little kid follows her example to avoid her teenage naiveté, that's a win for society at large and artists in particular.

More to discover