Audio Science Review = "The better the measurement, the better the sound" philosophy

"Audiophiles are Snobs"  Youtube features an idiot!  He states, with no equivocation,  that $5,000 and $10,000 speakers sound equally good and a $500 and $5,000 integrated amp sound equally good.  He is either deaf or a liar or both! 

There is a site filled with posters like him called Audio Science Review.  If a reasonable person posts, they immediately tear him down, using selected words and/or sentences from the reasonable poster as100% proof that the audiophile is dumb and stupid with his money. They also occasionally state that the high end audio equipment/cable/tweak sellers are criminals who commit fraud on the public.  They often state that if something scientifically measures better, then it sounds better.   They give no credence to unmeasurable sound factors like PRAT and Ambiance.   Some of the posters music choices range from rap to hip hop and anything pop oriented created in the past from 1995.  

Have any of audiogon (or any other reasonable audio forum site) posters encountered this horrible group of miscreants?  

fleschler

All I want to point out is that you say folks on this site are biased because they see the price and hence expectations increase.

Terrible of them, I know.  Why let them have common sense and expect more performance when you pay more?  It is audio after all.  We should make new rules for that expenditure.  I pay for a supercharger option for a car.  Company delivers it and it reduces horsepower.  I should be OK with that according to that rule....

Regardless, I have no issue with recommending ultra expensive gear: they just need to have the performance that is comparable to devices at 1/10th their cost.  If they don't, then I will comment and withhold my recommendation.

"And I say that you are also biased because you see the measurements and then listen."

Ah, you want me to be uninformed when I do my listening tests.  As if not seeing the measurements somehow eliminate bias?  Seeing the gear, etc. is not a concern of yours but accurate measurements are?  Instead of typing, here is a video I produced on this very topic:

"I wonder if you spend a lot of time measuring the equipment, how much you time would you enjoy listening to music."

Why do you wonder?  What possible thing I have written that makes you wonder?  Did I share a diary with you that showed no music listening?  

I listen to tons of music.  I am retired so I have all the time in the world.  Even when I am measuring, I am listening to music.

@milpai 

I don't throw rocks and I don't want you to answer anything. Just stop telling folks that measurements tell you everything. 

You just "wondered" if I listen to music.  That didn't require answering?

That aside, you are the one saying "measurements tell you everything," not me. I have repeatedly stated that half of my reviews including listening tests.  I also use other techniques like Null testing with real music.  I have said that controlled listening test are the gold standard.  Why isn't this message sinking in?

But yes, there is no denying of the power of measurements.  They cut through audio folklore like butter.  Company claims this and that tweak reduces noise?  Well, we darn well know how to measure noise even if they don't.  They say this and that lowers jitter?  Well, we measure that every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Company says that this and that design produces the most transparent sound?  Well, if distortions and noise are not competitive, then sure as heck does not do that.

When you get sick, you don't want your doctor to take your temperature and blood pressure on the fear that "he thinks measurements are everything."  Measurements do not have to be everything to be incredibly useful and powerful..  Go without them at your own peril.

@dducat ,

Aside from going to war with some very reputable equipment makers, people who are directly accountable vs. a faceless brand of high-end gear and Amir and his minions claim a wide variety of skills and capabilities but literally don't know what they're measuring, how they're measuring it / how to use the tools they have and what their measurements actually mean.

Perhaps you would like to expand on who these companies are that ASR went to war over? Do you mean GR Research?   You claim that ASR does not know what to measure, how to use their equipment, or how to interpret the results. Then you make a comment about a single speaker and an anechoic chamber.  If you are going to jump in on this character assassination, shouldn't you know what you are saying?  It took me about 5 minutes of reading the first speaker review on ASR to know they don't use an anechoic chamber. They do not need one. It took maybe 10 minutes to understand why Amir uses a single speaker. Perhaps if you ask him he will tell you.

This is not adult banter @nonoise , this is an out and out attempted character assassination. It is not done in jest.