Audiophile Electrocution

On one of the company-sponsored discussion boards I read (for my brand of speakers), the head of the company is always warning us about power and how dangerous it is and how careful we must be. And we all read a lot of stern warnings about not opening up amps, about household wiring, licensed electricians and what not. I don't want to make light of this of this. But I am curious; do you know of any audiophiles who have been hurt or killed while tinkering with their systems? Have you been zapped?
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
Post removed 
Even pro electricians get zapped.
I got too many times:
from TV-sets, amps, home appliances...
110V isn't a biggie for a short duration depending on the power capabilities of the source...
Since most people are not stupid, most problems occurr when people think there is no risk. Improper grounding. Thinking things have been disocnected or a component that stores energy even after it has been turned off or is disconnected. Most accidents can be avoided by taking simple precautions. There is nothing sadder than an accidental death that could have been prevented.

Any Radio Shack carries a voltage tester that allows you to test for voltage before you touch. Try to avoid cheater plugs. ALSO REMEMBER THAT ELECTRICITY CAN ARC. MEANING IT CAN LEAP ACROSS AIR IF YOU GET TOO CLOSE.
If your fingers are dry and you brush lightly on a 110 volt wire you will only get a little tingle. Old time electricians checked for hot wires with their fingers, and I do the same, but for me only as a verification after I have cut the power. You can kill yourself with 110 volts if you grab firmly on the hot wire with one hand and the ground with the other hand. This puts the current through your chest. An old time safety tip is to keep one hand in your pocket while groping wires with the other one.

Tube circuits, and TV CRTs especially run with very high DC voltages. High voltage can stop your heart even if no serious physical damage is done to tissues. (In the Electric chair, a high voltage pulse is used to knock the criminal out, and then followed with high current to destroy tissue).

Heathkit once sold a Geiger counter kit. There were warnings about the danger of the high voltage in it, but a friend of mine didn't take it seriously because the only power came from four D cell batteries. He almost killed himself.
Here is one that not many people know of. Just because the breaker is off doesn't mean you can't get zapped. If the neutral is shared with another circut and that circut is on and being used, you can get a jolt from the white wire (neutral). Many homes share (& it is legal)a common neutral wire. Turn off the main & you will be safe. At least from this type of nuking.
-John