Audiophilism is a hobby

This post grew out of another discussion on music vs. sound. According to a poll taken in that discussion, it is clear most A’goners claim they listen to their rigs primarily for the music. Although I don’t doubt the truth of that, I maintain that much of the listening is as a hobby, with music being a very important component. I’m not saying we can’t be profoundly moved by the music but rather that a lot of our enjoyment comes from the sheer sound emitted from our speakers. Great music is of course a vital part of the experience, but with all the manipulations we do with our systems, we  are fascinated by the idea of sound in itself as a hobby.

128x128rvpiano

Thanks @mashif, I look it up.

I recently saw Buddy’s pal Jim Lauderdale live, just he and his guitar in a medium-sized bar in Portland. Last time I saw him was at Pappy & Harriets in Pioneer Town, close to Joshua Tree (I was living in Palm Desert, about an hour away). The first time was when he replaced Gurf Morlix as Lucinda’s bandleader, singing harmony and playing acoustic rhythm guitar on the Car Wheels tour.That was a quarter-century ago! Playing lead guitar on that tour was Kenny Vaughan, now in Marty Stuart’s Fabulous Superlatives, imo the best band in the world.

Buddy and Julie never make it up to the Northwest (neither does Marty Stuart), and I’m dying to see them on stage. Marty too!

I'm guessing that most of us have some favorite cuts that we use to measure the performance of our system (s). When we hear new things in the music or have it presented in a different way that seems more pleasing or realistic then we get a satisfying measure of pleasure. Because we enjoy this feeling so much we continue on the path until that experience can be achieved again (and again). Call it a kind of obsession or perhaps call it a journey. Either way I personally have no regrets and still enjoy the quest now some 50 years.

IMO Julie Miller is the better 7/8 …. and i like Buddy… a LOT

BTW really do check out Sarah J…. especially Blue Heron Suite

Julie is the writer. Buddy is the producer. Neither could do it alone.

I love all Sarah’s albums but Build Me Up From Bones probably tops the list. The new one is infectious and brilliant, but more commercial. Not the free flowing sound of the others, but I think she deserves to have some hits and make a living.

I don't agree that working and paying to get better sound is not about the music.  I'm sure that enough distortion could be added to the best written, played and recorded music that no one would want to listen to it.   We pursue good sound to better appreciate the music.