Back to the DAC

Just a bit of an update. When I inquired about a DAC upgrade in a recent post, it was suggested that I look at upgrading my cables first. Since then, I have done so (see my virtual system for that). Not over the top stuff, but a definite improvement over the mostly stock, generic cables I originally had.

System is sounding pretty darn good, but like most of us, you always wonder what a more expensive DAC will offer in the way of sound quality improvements.

Many of the recommended, higher priced DACs seem to include streamers and/or offer pre-amp capabilities. I have a good streamer and pre-amp and really don’t want all those components in one box.

Have any of you experienced a DAC which offers the sound qualities of highly praised units like the Mola Mola Tambaqui, DCS Lina, T&A 200, Weiss DAC501, etc. which their only function is a DAC?

128x128navyachts

@navyachts , Yes...about 2 hours ago and he was really taken by it saying if your budget is below $10K, then this will punch your audio ticket (pardon my paraphrasing). 😄  He's keeping his review sample.

I've got a funny feeling they're gonna run out of these soon if not already.

All the best,
Nonoise

I just checked LAiV's website and both silver and black are down to preorder status for the next batch.  Time for the audio elves to get busy. 

All the best,
Nonoise

Steve’s a good dude. Knows what he’s taking about. However the comparisons in this review between the DACs within completely different system context is not a valid one. There’s nothing left of his system when he had the DAVE. You can’t possibly compare LAiV and Chord DAVE using two different systems one of which is in his auditory memory. I mean no disrespect to Steve but I call BS here. I have no reason to doubt what he heard from LAiV as a standalone DAC though but let’s not run our imagination wild here comparing it to DAVE. 

I got my Schiit Yggi+ OG today and burning it in my office system. First with the Leafs-Bruins hockey game and now music.

It likely needs a bit of time before it shines. However, it does sound rather good so far. 

I found this review today, and it has some good history on Mike Moffet.

Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC - The Absolute Sound  (Robert Harley)

Now this quote is getting interesting. I did not realize this DAC could be great. 

I can’t tell you how Moffatt did it, but I can describe how the Yggy sounds, and why its one of the three best DACs I’ve heard regardless of price. (The other two are the $19,500 Berkeley Alpha Reference and the $35,000 dCS Vivaldi. I suspect that the MSB Select is outstanding, after hearing it many times at shows, but I haven’t evaluated it in my own system.)