Battle of the Older DAC

Would this be a simple choice for you?

Looking at upgrading my DAC and at similar price points have options of an Auralic Vega (2013) and a Schiit Yggdrasil OG A2 (2018?) 

I have heard the Auralic and it is impressive, but the reputation of the Yggy looks solid.

Would be keen to hear from anyone who has experience of both or if the choice is clearer that it appears to me.

As ever, would love to hear your thoughts.

incoming

There is a brand new version of the Yggdrasil now, the Yggy+.

I had the original Yggy and loved it.  Every time I put a better power cord on it, the improvement came through clearly.

But you should only buy a DAC that you can audition in your own system and trust your ears (after an adequate break in time.)  You can do that with the Yggy+.

@incoming

Yes; the best option is to hear a dac in your room, especially if it is acoustically less than optimal. 

There are quite a few dealers who offer trial periods and return policies (without restocking fees). FYI, you will have to pay shipping both ways if you return.

PM me and I will provide a list.

Among these is TMR, who sell used as well as new.

Many thanks for the recommendations, and I always enjoy the discussions within this community.  Plenty of research ahead, which suits me just fine. Also plenty of envy for the options and service available in the US.

For those of us outside it is a bit more of a pot luck situation.

The Auralic is on loan from an enthusiast who sells new and second hand equipment as a side business. Haven't come across a retailer who provides trials of new kit, but also haven't specifically asked. Time to do that too.

Appreciate the direction folks.

@incoming

A quick Google search brings up names of audio clubs in N. Zealand:

Auckland Audio Society

Wellington Audio Club

Sound System Community NZ (Facebook)

Perhaps you could borrow a DAC or two...