Battle of the Older DAC

Would this be a simple choice for you?

Looking at upgrading my DAC and at similar price points have options of an Auralic Vega (2013) and a Schiit Yggdrasil OG A2 (2018?) 

I have heard the Auralic and it is impressive, but the reputation of the Yggy looks solid.

Would be keen to hear from anyone who has experience of both or if the choice is clearer that it appears to me.

As ever, would love to hear your thoughts.

incoming

incoming

I'm with the crowd suggesting a newer (even used) DAC, too many updates in technology for me.

Hard to say what your tastes would be, but here are some great recommendations for new. They can be found used for less as well, except the Harmony:

Gustard R26 - $1,650, $1,100 used

Denafrips Pontus II 15th (or 12th) - $1,950 , $1,400 used

Schitt Yggy LIM - $2,300, $1,800 used

Laiv Harmony - $2,850 new only

For transparency, I own and love the Denafrips Pontus II DAC

@vthokie83 how would you describe the bass of the Denafrips Pontus II DAC you have? Is it on the "smooth, diffuse" end or on the "solid, punchy, and textured" end of the spectrum? R2R DACs are generally well regarded for tonality, imaging, and soundstage, but without bass "punch". I wonder how close a multibit DAC like the Schiit Yggy can come to that while maybe having better bass.  Thanks.

I do think that given all the technological push with DACs during the last 10 years, buying an "old DAC" might not be the best course of action. Then again, some on here have noted that the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC Mk. I (pretty darn old DAC with a FPGA update) being sold for about 1/3rd of its original price offers a good bang for the buck. But you'd have to wonder how well the internal components have aged over the time since it was built and used.

moonwatcher

I'd have to say it's a combination of both. But over the past couple of years, I have the Pontus driven by a Denafrips Iris DDC via I2S; and that has a lot to do with the way they sound in my system. I find the Pontus/Iris bass to be weighty, punchy, textured, and is well defined. It also is very slightly smoothed out and integrates well with the midrange.....part of the reason I suspect that the combination is such an easy DAC to love.

I find the Pontus/Iris to be fun, energetic, but also not in your face or at all fatiguing.....just all around enjoyable. I've upgraded a preamp, 2 amps, and speakers; and the Pontus/Iris have not yet been outclassed to the point of needing to be replaced immediately.

I've compared the Pontus/Iris combination to a bunch of other DACs, but never pulled the trigger as I didn't think they would greatly improve the overall sound. Yes some were more detailed, some were more punchy in the bass, and some quicker....but only the Holo Audio May KTE DAC (at $5,600 new), Denafrips Terminator II ($6,000 new) and Terminator Plus ($7,600 new) bettered the Pontus/Iris in total.....I even preferred the Pontus/Iris combination to the bigger brother Denafrips Venus II at $3,100 new.

It's not as punchy as say a Holo Audio May DAC, nor a Chord.....and I have never done a direct comparison between a Yggy and the Pontus II, so not much help there. But for $1,600 for a used Pontus II 12th, and an Iris DDC at $400; the Pontus II and Iris is a great combination.....not just for the money, but just a great combination.

Yes I will replace the Pontus/Iris in the next year, but the replacement will be much much more expensive.....something like the T+A 200, Denafrips Terminator Plus, Berkeley Audio Alpha, Grimm MU2 streamer/DAC, or Lampizator.

I still use an old Weiss DAC202 and i am perfectly happy with it. The only reason to change it will be to get a different sound, otherwise I have no desire to do so.

@jasonbourne71 "Buying a DAC based upon someone’s opinion is stupid. You might as well ask a Ouija board for advice."

I bought one of the best measuring DACs on the market and it was based on reports over at ASR, and their opinions about the best measurements resulting in good sound. Well that turned out to be one of the least engaging components I’ve had in any of my systems to date. DAC got returned, tested fine. Refunded, thankfully.  

Some of the best DACs I’ve had were based on other people’s experiences and opinions and recommendations which turned out to be really good. Go figure.