Benchmark Media Systems. Right or wrong

128x128mijostyn

About what you'd expect from a company whose products sound clean, but sterile and clinical to a fault.

I disagree that as a manufacturer they shouldn’t voice an opinion.  There are plenty of manufacturers who weigh in on the opposite side, attempting to create a market for products that listeners did just fine without, such as power conditioner, ultra expensive power cords, inter connects (particularly digital) and power cords, fuses, switches, turntable mats made from lactating yaks…It’s nice to have someone on the manufacturing side call out the bs 

I've never particularly liked their DAC's and Amps...it also seems very clever marketing to a different but large segment of the audiophile market, not a bold position...I would definitely consider buying their cables for a secondary system...

I have a LA4 preamp in my system and it is a solid performer, yet I am seeking to replace it as I think it is a little dry. However, to the point, I have been trialing “audiophile” balanced interconnects between my DAC, the LA4, and my amp. I had one set of Benchmark XLR’s and a set of Blue Jeans Belden’s, that I was replacing. I have tried two well known brands so far, both very different, and have one more set on deck. A friend with a very resolving system tried the same cables as I have, and independently, we have the an similar opinion of each set. 

Yes, there is snake oil out there, but not all of it.

There is more snake oil in the audio industry than about any other industry. Why? Because many audiophiles think music is special. When we listen, it engages our emotions and memories. Much of the hearing differences can be attributed to ’the placebo effect’. Research the use of opioids for pain - in blind studies a sugar pill gave as much pain reduction as an opioid pill, if the person believed it to be an opioid. This is what some in the audio industry prey on and use to sell products.

I have no problem with people spending THEIR OWN money. It is theirs, after all. I just use my equipment to enjoy music, whether it be a smart speaker, etc. I just want to enjoy. Too many people spend too much time trying to get it ’perfect’ - there is no such thing.

I say, take a step back, relax, and enjoy!