Best new/demo/used value for $7.5K range

Hello all!

I will be buying new speakers at the end of September.

My budget is roughly $7.5K (can flex some if a steal is found).

I am currently looking at:
-B&W 802N (5000K used and 7K demo)
-JM lab Mezzo Utopia (7k used)
-Revel Studio (7.5K used)
-Dynaudio Confidence 5 (5k used)
-Wilson Sophia Used (8.5K? used)
-Wilson Watt/Puppy6 (8.5K? used)

I like all of these speakers for different reasons. I would be happy with any of them, but wish I could afford the wilsons - my favorite.

Any thoughts? At this price I want to know I considered everything.

My gear: EAD 8000pro preamp, Levinson No.27, Classe CAV150, SACD XA-777es, Pioneer Elite DV-47 DVDm, Transparent Audio and Audioquest interconnects...
jtee
There are some good choices there. My favorite of the bunch would either be the Revel Studio's or the JM Lab's a close 2nd. But both have different sound characteristics in my view.

I personally wouldnt put either of the Wilson products(especially the Sophia)in that list from a SQ perspective though. If they are your favorite sounding speaker truely, the Revel's will be right up your ally as they give alot more with the same presentation. If you can do a direct sound comparison between em Im sure you will be quite impressed, just make sure the rest of the system is up to snuff.

I also like'd the other suggestion of Vandy 3a Sig's with a pair of Vandy subs, that IS a great setup too.
Ehider,
Hope you're nearby. Again, I would like to know what your friend who bought the Nearfield Pipedreams is doing to, as you stated, "He is having to re-engineer everything from the crossovers to the electronics in the subs!"
Again, what electronics are in the subs that he is reingineering? Also, what is he doing in the crossovers. They are sealed, and virtually impossible,(ok really hard) to access. I always wonder why someone would buy an $80K product then find the need to "reengineer it". Why not design his own, if his capabilities exceed the designers, why mess with such a flawed design. Moreover why spend the money, if they're so flawed?
Please let me know. The reason I ask is that the only electronics that are in the subs, are the electromagnetic fields created by the magnet behind the subs, and of course the wiring that leads to the magnet. Unless he bought a model that is new to me and everyone else.
Humbly and sincerely waiting to hear about his expertise.
Larry
I disagree with Ritteri and find the Sophias much more musical than the Revels (maybe just a 1st order vs 4th order thing). They also don't require a mega amp making cost savings a big issue. Give them a 50 watt tube amp and be prepared for great sound.

I know Ritteri has issues with Wilson construction--read the latest TAS/Soundstage and make your own decision. Many people have issue with Revel as in to the overall speaker design if you search as well.

Of course, I have never heard Revels in any setup that sound great to me. Personal preference is key here, so I strongly urge auditioning everything before buying. I will admit my strong preference to not buying equipment that is inefficent or has strong dips. Just not friendly for amplifier selection.

The mezzos are a great speaker, and are at ridiculous prices today used (ie. superb value). I am curious to hear the new Alto soon. JM Labs also don't require tons of current which is nice.

Cheers,

KeithR
Coincidence speaker technologies Total Eclipse

Joseph Audio RM33si Reference Standard

These are full-range mindblowing values. Bye, Bye Dunlavy, Wilson etc. At this price point they have very few peers. IMHO