Best tube pre-amps under $1,000

Looking for warm, open soundstage, with good bass control
I have B&K ST202 amp with Alon II speakers, Jolida 100 cd player.

my current pre is B&K Pro 10MC

I have recieved recomendations for VTL 2.5, Prima Luna prologue 3, juicy music peach, TAD 150.

help.......
dvdgreco
The TAD 150 also responds well to tube rolling, though that isn't unique in the tube preamp world.
Without any reservations I would strongly recommend the new Norh ACA-2B tube preamp for $299.00 plus shipping from overseas. Bested most all the tube preamps I have had regardless of price. Transparency, detail, and big dynamics were its best attributes. When compared to other tube preamps (and I have tried some the pres DVDGRECO mentioned) it was like removing a veil from the music.
I agree with you Mingles - he may be getting paralysis by analysis at this point.

For under 1K the choices are pretty limited.
Used.

For under 1K the only Modwright is the 9.0SE which is not the tube rectified version - so it may not give the warmth that he needs.
VTL 2.5 probably will - I have only heard the 5.5.
Quicksilver Remote control linestage will and you can tube roll to tailor the sound.
If you really enjoy playing the buy, audition, sell game..."buy one of the pre solutions mentioned above".

If you are tired of this game, do youself a favor..."Buy the Dodd Buffer"!!!!!!!!!!

Best decision I have ever made in the quest for "Audio Nirvana"

Just sayin....