Biwiring: can you really hear the difference?

What are people's experience with biwiring, and do you really think it makes a difference over just getting a jumper?
128x128dennis_the_menace
Wouldn't using two sets of cable be like doubling the "filter" on the sound... however your cables change the music, they'll do that , that much more with two sets? If your cable is very neutral in sound, then biwiring might not do much, but if you choose a cable that promotes a certain kind of sound, biwiring might make a big difference. ?

Also, it seems like it probably is system dependent. Maybe this is definitely one issue that needs an audition.

Markanetz is on the money - use a set of spades and a set of bananas on a single terminal to enable the use of two runs of wire per speaker. Make sure the "better" cable is running to the high driver, not the woofer. This works better - perhaps some of the more enlightened of the 'goners could explain why.

I'm not sure I agree with your premise that biwiring with a neutral sounding cable makes less difference. I have biwired three separate systems in the past couple of years, all using different cable (though all more or less neutral) and it never failed to make a vast improvement. But...you are ALWAYS right to audition before comitting if possible.

A good way to start would be to get borrow a pair of speaker cables that are terminated differently from what you have now. As long as it is decent cable it doesn't have to match what you have too closely. Try them out for a few days, then switch top and bottom. Try that for a few days, then go back to your original single run. Then see what you think.

As for Dopogue's experience - system synergy is a funny thing, and it is very possible that his system liked the Mapleshade cable better than the Kimber. Naim is another brand of gear than comes to mind when talking about funny preferences of cable. I do wonder what would happen with a biwired setup of the Mapleshade cables?
I agree whatever you do it will be audition. Double runs will sound differently than a single bi-wire cable, or a single run with jumpers, etc.
Responding to Esoxhntr, I was ready to biwire with the Mapleshades at the time I ordered them. Pierre Sprey recommended against it, said they would sound better single-wired. Who am I to argue with the guy who makes and sells them?
Dopogue:

Well, in that case then I guess I wouldn't argue either. Though I might try it anyway just to see:)