Bluesound Node 2i vs Upscale streamers

For those of you that have compared the Node 2/2i to some of the more expensive streamers like Lumin, Aurender, etc., what do the big boys bring to the table. Forget the internal DACs, I'm sure theirs beats the Node. I'm talking about using these devices as stand alone streamers into an outboard DAC. What are the differences you've heard?

Oz

128x128ozzy62

Showing 3 responses by mahler123

I have a Bryston BDP3.  Compared to the Bluesound it’s like going from 1080 resolution to 4K display.  The old standard was pretty good until the new shows up.  More bass, richer midrange, gobs of detail, more ambience
@larry5729   

I haven’t heard the Project DAC but I have read some comments elsewhere that it’s pretty sub par.  I had a ProJect headphone amp that I thought was crap and returned it.  I can believe that the humble DAC in in the Node2 bested the ProJect DAC.  I think that you were snookered by your dealer.  Always trust your own ears
Apple Music plays at 256 bps.  I assume that the Bluesound component has a tab for it as they have a tab for every streaming service.  It probably sounds just fine.  The bigger question is how a lossless recording would sound.