Bookshelf speakers and record player for Marantz 2245 receiver?

I'm getting a marantz 2245 and looking for recommendations for speakers and a record player to go with it.

I live in Brooklyn and the aptmt isn't huge, so thinking bookshelf speakers, perhaps new.

Thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you!
128x128schadeyacres
I think the Rega R1 suggested by akg is one good fit given your amp and room constraints. Sensitivity of 90dB, nominal 8ohm impedance, and need not require placement far from back wall.  Maybe you could find a used pair, thus saving money for the TT. 

On the TT quest, what is your budget for it? 
Elac the $500.00 ones sounded great at the price was at a demo in my stereo club by the designer.

ebm wrote:
Elac the $500.00 ones sounded great at the price was at a demo in my stereo club by the designer.

ebm, given your affinity for Magicos, I consider that high praise indeed. It's even a 3-way with a coaxial mid/tweet in a very compact (7.87"x12.75"x10.75") enclosure.

I think the Rega R1 suggested by akg is one good fit given your amp and room constraints. ... Maybe you could find a used pair, thus saving money for the TT.

Given that the R1 is out of production I think the only ones available are used. The current version is the RX1 at $1295/pair.

Still, the R1s (if you can find them) should be a good match. I like the way Rega speakers sound.
For the turntable, unless you stumble onto a killer deal on one of the early '80s upscale Kenwoods, JVCs, Denons, etc., you might be better off with a brand new Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC. A lot of good sound for $399.