Building a 100 album vinyl collection 3 must have albums are?

No opera or rap in the three must haves. Sorry.

128x128hbarrel

Showing 4 responses by vair68robert

There is a lot of good suggestions , some of which I would agree with so I'll give you 3 different ones from 3 different genres  ( plus 1 ) .

Jimi Hendrix  "Electric LadyLand " 

Joni Mitchell   " Ladies of the Canyon "

Solti & CSO  Beethoven's 6th symphony " Pastoral "

plus 1

Julie London  " At Home "

Now that you have a lot of peoples favorites or suggestions ( I gave suggestions because my favorites would not necessarily be your favorites )    you have to now consider pressings .  So here are a few thoughts from my experiences .  For rock I like Japanese and German pressing in general , the English/Great British ones can be good if you find one without a lot ot background noise  , Reprise is a good label So is London and Abbey Road .  For classical I am limited in experience to Chicago Symphony Pressings  , RCA Living Stereo , Decca/London ffrr and Mercury Presence , for Jazz Blue Note , for Folk Vanguard .

I like fidelity of the new re-releases at 45rpm as well as the double vinyl 33rpm releases ( like Dire Straits " Brothers in Arms " ) .

All of these are available within reason whereas the MOFI original and the new Ultra Disc are Ultra expensive , as are the Classic pressing ( great fidelity but so so quietness ) the same with Chesky  .

While all this is just my opinion it is some to start thinking about . 

@macg19

I remember seeing and thinking about that as well as one for male singers ,

thanks for the reminder , I'll look for that .