buying a stereo for my 16 yr. old

Anyone familiar with the teac reference series, the small gold faced little separates? The price seems to be dropping like a rock on this stuff and I was wondering if there was a good reason. Any input would be appreciated . Thanks.
winoguy17
READ THIS DAD!USED 2 chanel reciever unless he wants surround sound in his college dorm room than I sugest a Yamaha RXV420 ($300) with a single play DVD (less repair worries).If he/she wants a carousel player $200 gets a Onkyo Integra w/3 year warranty.At the hifi shop where I woprk we've had one going 6 years straight.Then what ever speakers the budget affords.If it's a college drom hard to beat the single play Denon DM30-S($450) that comes with mission speakers.Is way compact with full features like alarm,two sets of tape inputs/outs,optical out and a sub out.Throw a compact Yamaha $160 sub and it's compact and rocks in a very refined way.If it's a she if she see's it she'll want it-you hear it you'll want it for her.Hell i can sell it to you as I have an extra in my house if I've made my case.Seriously it's great for dorms!
I would recoment a Pioner sx-750 or luxman receiver or OLD Marantz some can be had for a hundred or so and they have great phono section,and great tuners ! add a cd , TT and a pair of ADS 710's and you will have a mini audiophile system . The cheap new stuff has no guts ! The teac will be in somesones yard sale for $ 20.00
I appreciate all of your responses, but as it is going to be a Christmas present, I dont really want to go the used route. Did you like used presents for Christmas when you were a kid? Did'nt think so. I really appreciate the responses pertaining to Teac , asthat was the purpose of this thread. Again thanks, especially you SD.