cartridge alignment

I use the supplied rig for mounting the cartridge on my 10.5 arm on a VPI superscoutmaster. Has anyone seen a difference when you then use an aftermarket tool like the turntable basics or mint? Are there more angles to see better or what? It seems if I hit that dot with the stylus and all else is well what else is there? Just wondering because of all the talk of alignment tools.
Thanks
sm2727
I like the MintLP tracker better than the VPI jig. With the MintLP you can achieve a very accurate alignment due to the more refined lines and mirrored surface. I think that the MintLP goes for around $120 now, therefore, you really can’t go wrong. If you don’t like the results, the MintLP is an easy sell on the use markets, especially for a VPI arm.
You should be fine! Spend your money on something else. I use a MSL gauge and it comes out the same is the one that was supplied with my SME tonearm.
I reworked MY 10.5i on my Superscout rim drive and found a cleaner, clearer, more spacious sound with my Mint. I found a very sturdy supporting table to be essential to the excellent sound..... get the compliant mini feet off of your table and replace them with Bearpaws.
There are different schools of geometry for cartridge alignment. Depending on your table/arm cartridge combination you may, or may not, be using the ideal alignment.

Vinyl Engine has a lot of info on cartridge alignment