CHANGING FROM AUDIO RESEARCH TO AUDIO NOTE SYSTEM 

Dear All,

I got hooked by the SET sound and am considering selling my Audio Research based system (REF 5 SE preamp and REF150 power) and Wilson SOPHIA 3 speakers. In exchange I would buy a level 3/4 system. M3 phono balanced input pre, P3 Tonnmeister power and AN E AN-E-SPe HE 98db or  AN-E/SPx ALNICO 95 dB speakers. 

However, considering the good quality I already have, I fear being a little downgraded. Wonder what is your opinion. 

My room allows corner placement, and has 30 m2 with 2,4 m height ceiling. 

Best regards,

128x128pfmaudio

@ghasley 

You are correct! SEP indeed… Dragon chasing is very much one of my personality defects. So deep in the rabbit hole I can barely see the exit.

After many hours of mucking about, I have managed to get all the voltages to where they are supposed to be in the amp. Without having access to a scope, I have to trust my ears when it comes to distortion and output volume. Certainly plays more than loud enough through my Cornwalls.  Now I just need to find the source of the 120hz hum. Rectifier tube? Filter caps? Ripple voltage? Ground loop? 

Should have the last issues resolved soon. Then I can put it in a couple of pretty boxes, upgrade the tubes and call it a day. 

Put some photos in my system page.

After my first post I had some more listening time to an AN system on my dealer. AN E  LX Hemp, 94 db, AN M2 Line preamp and P1 SE SIGNATURE power. 

returning home and listening TO the same tracks on my system, the sound seemed hard and aggressive, lesser texture and lesser tonality. my room at home has no treatment and the dealer has a lot of Treatment. The source was an AN transport plus DAC. At home is a Meridian G08. 
I have an offer to buy me back my REF150 and Sophia 3 and getting a P3 tonemeister silver and ANE SPE. For the power amp I feel comfortable on the change. However, for the loudspeakers, I feel I am exchanging a nice Audi for a good Ford. The later is very enjoyable to drive but the former is technologically superior. I don’t know if the image is good enough. But I feel I am trading a speaker technolohically more advanced for one with not such technical and innovative solutions but with a simple and sound engineering. 

I will have a home demo of the same system. 

@pfmaudio

Your concerns over the speakers is understandable, it happens all the time when we analyze potential outcomes rather than just listening. Room acoustics and technology can cause alot of heartburn….when, in fact, you are about to learn a great deal. You will know fairly quickly if the an-e’s couple with your room synergistically. I would also recommend that you suspend disbelief until you hear it in your room. In no way at all do I agree with your characterization of the sophias as the audi, the audio note as Ford. New tech vs old tech as if new tech must sound better. The audio note speakers in the right system and the right room will sound exceptional. Same goes for your sophias. Dont let your new tech/old tech thoughts guide how you will hear before hearing. New tech cello vs old tech….new tech piano vs old tech. The audio note speakers arent meant to be inert like wilsons, they are meant to act like instruments.

In no way at all do I agree with your characterization of the sophias as the audi, the audio note as Ford. New tech vs old tech as if new tech must sound better. The audio note speakers in the right system and the right room will sound exceptional. Same goes for your sophias. Dont let your new tech/old tech thoughts guide how you will hear before hearing. New tech cello vs old tech….new tech piano vs old tech. The audio note speakers arent meant to be inert like wilsons, they are meant to act like instruments.

Excellent point and agree 100%

i just do not buy that "new tech" is by default the superior choice, particularly in regard to music/audio matters. You have to listen and trust your ears and judgement.

Charles

@ghasley ,

thanks a lot for your post. I will definitely have the system in my room and listen to see if it works well. 

by the way, the speakers will be ANE SPe HE, which have the hempel woofer and high efficiency. At the time is the best I can afford. The price more than doubles for the signatures and it is almost 3x for the AlNiCo, which I believe would be the best option. 

do you think having the silver signature would be a great upgrade?