Choosing Sub-woofers. Please advise ASAP.

Finally, I have committed to the new home theater system and need sub-woofers. My listening and theater space is about 16' x 14' but then total open space (kitchen in the back) is 16' x 32'. I would like to listen to non-dealer advise. Thank you.

Mcintosh MX160
Mcintosh MC1.2Kw x 2
Mcintosh MC205 x 2
Wilson Audio Alexia - Front Left and Right Speakers
Wilson Audio Mezzo - Center Speaker
Wilson Audio Sophia - Side and Rear Surround Sound Speakers
Origin Acoustic D88 - Atmos Speakers

I like the REL and the JL Audio but JL Audio is my primary choice. The question is 2 x 12" or 2 x 10" or single Dual 12"? The stereo dealer told me 10" would blend in better with music while HT dealer says 12" will have better effect because even my listening space is mall but overall room is large.

Your thought please? I need decision by tomorrow so I can close the final piece. Thank you.
sautan904
Hi Tim you know you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink . All i can say my system for the last 3 years was a DSP controlled stereo sub set up I thought I had good bass at least in my one listening spot . Now after hooking up two more REL subs I have great bass all over the room . The rule is three is mandatory and adding the fourth is the end game any more and its a waste .    
Hi enginedr1960,

"Tim you know you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink "

Exactly right.  My sense is that many agree with the DBA concept and want really good bass response in their rooms  but find it difficult to drink/accept the 4 subs in their rooms.  Understandable but you seem to have found a way to fit 4 Rel subs in your room and you're now enjoying the benefits of a custom DBA.  Which Rel subs are you using? 

" The rule is three is mandatory and adding the fourth is the end game any more and its a waste ."    

Have you tried using 3 subs in your room?  I went directly from 2 to 4 in my room and never even tried 3.  I know Dr. Geddes mentioned the use of 3 subs in his White Paper and I'm curious how close you found the results of using 3 subs came to the use of 4 in your room.

I'm very glad to know at least 1 fellow Audiogon member has tried the DBA system and has firsthand experience with how well it actually works.

Congrats and enjoy,
      Tim 
Tim, you can't say that we can't talk about something again, because you don't want to.  That is a major part of my point. I agree that 4 subs is optimal.  You said you were out after your last thread that was pretty long.  Then you post again, so I guess you are still in??  Either way, it's not big deal.

Bottom line is that I have been asking a lot of my audiophile friends if they'd use 4 subs in their systems. Many have active Vandersteen's and they said they would't be able to fit them into the room due to many domestic reasons.  If you have full control over your room and feel you need to spend the extra money, that's awesome. Most don't.  Simple point and hard to argue against regardless of it sounding better.  

Not even really disagreeing with you too much. Only on a few points.  
Tim, I know we are.  Wish I could get another set of subs, but I doubt I"ll need to.  :)