Comparing Wadia vs. Meitner

I believe that this represents the pinnacle of CD playback. Jerry, a fellow audiogoner was gracious enough to allow me to audition his broken-in Meitner CDSD / DCC2. In my system, the boxes were switched with mine, so they each had the same cables, power conditioning, power cords, and stand. Both were run directly into the amp without a preamp. My CD playback system includes the Wadia 27ix / 270se with the latest software and full modifications from Great Northern Sound. Also included are Elrod Statement power cords, a Hydra conditioner, and a Mana rack.

In short, I think that these are both excellent units. They are also very different in what they do. In my system, it was easy to distinguish between the two within several minutes. It probably comes down to personal preference in deciding which is best here. I’ll just simply say that I’m keeping the Wadia because I think it is a perfect match for my musical preferences, my system, and what I appreciate in music.

What I love about the Wadia is its ability to convey an (absolutely) astonishing amount of detail without being harsh or fatiguing. Not only is the melody and rhythm imaged with speed and coherence, but you can actually appreciate the musicians technique, the weight and color of the instrument(s), and the ambience of the recording venue. It simply presents a convincing image of a live event. The emotional quality is all there. You can understand what separates a great and (justly) famous professional musician from a pretty good one. Everything is properly proportioned, the soundstage is appropriate and believable, everything is audible, and the background is silent. From complex orchestral pieces and opera, to vocals, to solo instruments, I do not believe there are any weak spots. Again, it simply convinces and fools the mind into believing that you are sitting in front of the performance. I have frequented the concert halls, and I’d hate to say it but sometimes the recording is better.

I think that just about anybody could probably be happy with either of these 2 systems. Of course, curiosity makes us wonder if the grass is greener. I am just very content with where I am right now. I'd invite Jerry to make some comments when he gets a chance.

Rob
rtn1
Frank, your experience and comments are appreciated. I couldn't say if you have a golden ear, but you certainly have a golden stereo. That kind of rig could sustain a man through several divorces. I am sure it sounds great. However, perhaps you are being a tad too sensitive about audiobugged's remarks. After all, you were the one who chose to put the disparaging remarks about the Wadia in your comments.

Maccallan25, I paid $13k for my Wadia combination including the modifications. 'Retail' is about $22k with mods. An 861 with mods could likely be obtained for $3500 used, and I am not precisely sure that price for the mods on that unit. It may be $3400 for the mods but don't quote me on that one.
Rtn1,

First, thank you for the kind words on the system. I like it and have nothing but admirtaion for the designers. It did set me back a few bucks but it took YEARS to get it.

On my post, please re-read it. I didn't put any disparaging remarks about the Wadia in that thread. First, I was asked to comment about the shoot-out at my home, I didn't offer it unsolicited. Second, I was simply reporting what we heard and I thought I had done so in a very non-disparaging manner. You will note I stated I had always liked Wadia, that I have owned Wadia before, that I thought it would have been a closer comparison and then I even stated that ALL those players were less costly and acquitted themselves quite well. The comments about dull or blah were quoting someone there. Not only that, but I also CLEARLY state that the shoot-out was NOT with the Wadia 27/270 combo and that such a comparison might be different. This certainly sounds more like fair reporting than disparaging.

RTN1, I am not trying to be confrontational with you, but how can you accuse me of being too sensitive when Audiogeek was the one who disparaged all of my guests along with me with his hearing aid comment (but gave NO useful information to back up his remark) and then you say I disparage Wadia with my simple and honest remarks - all of which were verifed by others in attendance (see Drhst21's post) and for which I concede at the end was all simply opinion and subject to differing views based on all the variables???

Seriously, do any of you others reading this post see it that way? I would honestly like to know.
Frank- I sympathize with you, this is the reason I stopped posting with regularity- you share your experiences and you get jumped for it. Honestly(and I am SURE you are the same way now) I'd rather be selfish and just enjoy music and keep my experiences to my self- its not worth the agrivation. Its sad what this place has become, in particular when a few select products get mentioned.

As an aside I have heard Wadia many times and always leave dissapointed. I couldn't be happier with the Meitner gear it allows me to forget about the equipment and enjoy the music- in fact Haydn is sounding mighty good in the other room I am going to listen. You guys stay here and keep argueing about how great the wadia is :^)
I have owned EMM Labs dac (unfortunately had to sell due to financial reasons), and recently heard some Wadia (a stock 860x I believe). There is NO comparison- the Wadia sounded dry and digital- not so with the Emm Labs. Mind you, that was the 860x- I can't comment on the higher-up stuff...