Computer output to DAC, which route?

I have disbanded my main system because I am using my computer system more and more. I am going to purchase an outboard DAC for my computer, but I want to know something:
My computer comes equipped with COAX and TOSLINK outputs on the motherboard. Should I use one of those or use a DAC with a USB connection? WHat are the pluses and minuses of each way if any? I am using typical Altec Lansing speakers (good for what they are) but will probably move up to active Dynaudio monitors in the future. All music is sourced from itunes in either AAC or apple lossless formats.

Thanks in advance!
phoenix469
I use dBpoweramp for ripping and media monkey for playback. With Windows Vista, which I have, or a MAC you have no need for the ASIO driver anymore. That was a kernel mixer workaround for older versions of Windows.

A relatively cheap converter like the Hag or the Trends would turn you're non-USB DAC into a USB DAC so to speak. And theoretically this would be better than a direct coax connection to your computer's internal soundcard. Of course other much more expensive options, such as the above mentioned Apogee, also fit the bill.
Thanks,

So, with Windows XP, I need the Asio driver to avoid the kernel mixer. Off hand, have you tried the Asio driver in Media monkey.

Finally, is the advatage of the dbpoweramp for ripping simply the fidelity and proof reading aforded by that software which seems to reference your rip with some kind of a database
I have a similiar question. Currently, I use Vista/Album Player(Jukebox Software)/coax to a Yamaha receiver to play WAVs ripped via Windows Media Player. This system is listened to while playing pool. The touchscreen jukebox sofware is awesome for this application.

My problem is that I also would like to output the same signal to my distributed/whole house audio system and perhaps my dedicated HT rig via multi-room outputs. The Yamaha has multi-room analog outputs, but will not convert the coax input to an analog output required for this application.

The most cost-effective, best sounding solution to me is a DAC or USB DAC. I think the current set-up sounds pretty good for background/parties and I listen to my dedicated rig for more serious listening.

What would be the most value oriented solution? Coax to DAC or USB to DAC? Which product would you recommend?
Thanks for that input Thesauce! I am just now looking at the UD-10 as the interface between my laptop and the main system. My only concern is that the UD-10 is not a 2.0 USB. Maybe that's not an issue?? I'm having the laptop modified to handle my library - only . . .and was going to have them install a couple of 2.0 ports. Your thoughts? Puerto
Puerto,

No need for the USB 2.0. USB 1 has more than enough bandwidth to handle 2 channel audio.

Enjoy!