Considering selling my restored Garrard 301

AG used to be my go to source until the dealers took over but I am hoping for some  thoughts. I restored a nice 1958-9 Creme Garrard 301 oil. Fitted it with an SAEC 308L  w/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Built a plinth using 2 layers of butcher block. 

While I love the deck, I am considering a more modern alternative. My question is...

Would there be people interested in buying it at a price that would enable me to purchase a comparable alternative or a trade.

Maybe I'm crazy, and perhaps it's the "bug", but I am open to queries. 

I also own a Micro Seiko BL-51 with an Acos Lustre GST 1 arm and Denon 103r

Hope people engage 

128x128famoej

Showing 10 responses by lewm

I am aware of all you’ve written and I don’t disagree that an ID is more prone to noise than a BD, for reasons you mention. I already indicated I’m not a fan of especially the TD124, not only because of the design ((ID and BD in one package) but also based on listening to one that had been expensively refurbished.

Pindac, I think you live in the UK, where 240V/50Hz is the standard mains voltage and frequency. So it makes sense that a CDP could work off the LDA, if the current demand does not exceed its capability.  But one probably could not use the LDA to power a CDP in the US, where we are on 120V/60Hz (and therefore the CDP sold in the US would be built to run on 60Hz).  That is assuming the LDA has a fixed output frequency of 50Hz.

In my post of 12-06 at 9:35AM, I meant to write, "Perhaps but that doesn’t mean it WON'T work off our 120V/60Hz AC mains."  I left out the key word, "won't".  That happens when I type on my cell phone.

Perhaps but that doesn’t mean it work off our 120V/60Hz AC mains. Stands to reaso it would generate 240V/50Hz as the purists say that is best for the motor.

Larry, I am pretty sure the LDA is a power regenerator that puts out variable voltage at 50Hz, referenced to a quartz oscillator to keep the frequency perfectly stable. The platter speed of the induction type motor can then be controlled by varying the voltage output. It therefore would run off our 120V/60Hz mains, just like any other amplifier, which is what it essentially is, an amplifier that makes only one frequency. This has been done before, although I do not know if others were referenced to a quartz crystal oscillator.  So it doesn't just "clean up" the power, although I am sure it does do that in passing.

fsonic, I used the word "marketing" with respect. They have been very canny about producing plinths and ancillary devices to enhance the performance of very popular products.  Good choice of what products to make and how to sell them is what I had in mind when I used the term "marketing".

Larry, I had the same question. If memory serves, the Garrard motor was available either way. Yet the LDA is said to produce 50Hz. I saw no mention of a 60Hz option but I only scanned the website. I do know that 301 purists prefer 50Hz, which I believe is standard in the UK.

Mijo, true your TD124 had 3 bearings but how do you count more than 2 in conventional idlers? And by the way BD TTs also have 2, one of which is spinning very fast and more prone therefore to becoming noisy. I auditioned a TD124 and did find it had a coloration that I ascribed to its noise. Only the Lenco (after treating the platter and installing a massive custom bearing and replacing the structure) in my experience could be unobtrusive. (Everything has a noise floor. Nothing is dead quiet.)

fsonic, My question was prompted by your statement, "...and the Eclipse Roadrunner now sold by SOTA to monitor speed which can then be adjusted with the power supply."

I now see that you meant speed can be manually adjusted, if the Roadrunner tach shows it to be off. I originally took your statement to mean that the RR can feed back to the Artisan Fidelity supply, as it does feed back to the Phoenix Eng supply for automatic speed adjustment. I briefly owned a Mark Kelly tube-based PS for Garrard 301/401 motors. After waiting for years for Mark to finish the build, I sold it soon after taking delivery, because I realized I was not going to move forward with a Garrard 301 project. That was one of the fastest and easiest sales of audio gear, ever. It was snatched up. I am sure those units are superb.

I now see that a "Quartz LDA" is a linear power supply for Garrard induction motors, supplied by Artisan Fidelity, and that the quartz reference is to stabilize its 50Hz output frequency.  Pretty cool. AF are a pretty smart bunch of guys with their choice of products and marketing.

What's a "quartz" power supply, especially as it might apply to a Garrard 301/401?  Quartz crystal oscillates at a constant very high frequency and is used as a reference to regulate speed typically of DD turntable motors. Any decent DD TT made since the late 70s uses a quartz reference and a DC motor. I'm just not aware of how a quartz reference would be used in a basic PS for an induction motor.

Is the Roadrunner compatible with the AF power supply? Both Phoenix Engineering and now SOTA pair the tachometer with their dedicated power supply, if you want the tach to control speed. Also I wonder whether the SOTA Eclipse components work with an induction motor. Mark Kelly made controllers for the 301, once upon a time.