DACs With Killer Built-In Preamps

I see a lot of DACs with volume controls with the ability to act as a preamp. The Audio Research Reference Dac/Digital Media Bridge ($15k) has a volume control and a lot of innards of its Reference 5SE preamp...which makes for a very serious preamp section on that DAC.

Are there any DACs with voulume controls under $7k that can compete with top-tier preamps?
128x128mitch4t
Grannyring,
That makes sense, you`ve come across a particular system match that`s ideal for you. I feel the same about my current system with an active linestage.Let your ears be the guide. When you find the right sound,rejoice in it.
Regards,
Edorr, I want to say that your preamp is awesome and I do respect the AR product line. Not trying to say they are anything less than wonderful.

I have heard my Dude and the Ref5 in the same system and just want to share that the Dude plays in the same league.

I cannot explain why this time around a preless set-up just sounds as good. I do know what I hear however.

Go figure
Apple Mac Mini 2009 with 256 SSD, Mojo Audio power supply, Mountain Lion optimization and Amarra.
How about a killer preamp with built-in killer DAC and other nice things like biamping, subwoofer crossover, room correction, etc.? The Classé CP-800.